Menu

kitten --litter box question

Ds and Dh found a little kitten last night. I got a litter box for it, and it immediately knew what to do. But when he pees (not sure if it is a boy or girl)--he doesn't 'squat' and instead the urine squirts out straight behind spraying the wall or over the edge.

Anything we can do to train him or her to sit. I wanted to keep it, but if it is going to be peeing all over the place, that's gonna be a deal breaker for me! ;-)

Yes, get a high sided box! We tried the regular ones w/our cat (male), and while I don't believe for a second he meant to over-aim, he did - and not w/just urine! We found a box with a low front so he could step in, and it gradually gets higher (about a foot high in the back) at Petsmart and he's never had an issue since. Its not much bigger, so it still fits in the same spot, but its shaped kind of like an old clawfoot tub without the feet. I think it was about $20.

Ds and Dh found a little kitten last night. I got a litter box for it, and it immediately knew what to do. But when he pees (not sure if it is a boy or girl)--he doesn't 'squat' and instead the urine squirts out straight behind spraying the wall or over the edge.

Anything we can do to train him or her to sit. I wanted to keep it, but if it is going to be peeing all over the place, that's gonna be a deal breaker for me! ;-)

Get a Clever Cat litter box. There are usually some on Craig's List in my area.

If he's little, it may take him a bit to figure it out. Kittens automatically will go in a box, even if they have never used one, but the mechanics may take a bit! We have a covered box, too, with a lower front and a high back. If he's super small though, he may not be able to get into a regular box- we used a copy paper box lid for the first 3 weeks when we found a tiny kitten.Yes, it was messy- litter out of the box, kitten not always hitting the box and overshooting, etc, but it only lasts a short while. They grow super fast!

This looks interesting. Do you put the litter directly inside it, or is there another box inside?

You put the litter right inside it. It's like a tall regular litter box with a hole in the lid. My big cat's head will stick out the top while she is doing her thing.

PiCo,

Thanks for the link to the litterboxes. I looked on Amazon and found a video that someone had submitted that shows how she made her own top-entry litterbox. I am just finishing making three new ones. Total cost for 3 boxes: $16!!!

Thank you! I hope this works. I'm sick of litter all over the place.

Ria

PiCo,

Thanks for the link to the litterboxes. I looked on Amazon and found a video that someone had submitted that shows how she made her own top-entry litterbox. I am just finishing making three new ones. Total cost for 3 boxes: $16!!!

Thank you! I hope this works. I'm sick of litter all over the place.

Ria

Link, please! I would love to pass that on to friends.

Anything we can do to train him or her to sit.
I'm assuming you don't want the kitten to literally sit, right? I mean, do you sit with your hiney touching the water in the toilet bowl? :tongue_smilie: The poor kitty's rear would be covered in litter, which would end up all over the house.

Our cats kind of squat a bit, I suppose. They do it more to spread their legs out for a clear path, I think. We have a high-sided, covered cat box.

PiCo,

Here's the link. Mine look just like this (except I used a red towel). The kitten has already used the box. I've left the lid off one of the boxes for the older cats. Once they adjust to the new box I'll put the lids on.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0002ZS20I/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R19YZLNBEFX10

Ria