Menu

Compression Socks....wide calf

Ottakee

I saw the cardiologist today and the good news was that my heart is healthy.  I had a heart defect repaired over 40 years ago and have had atrial fib and congestive heart failure before but all is good.  He suggested that I put my feet up at night when I watch TV (ok, I haven't watched TV in months) and get some compression stockings to wear when my legs get swollen.  I have VERY wide calves.  I don't think most of the local store ones will fit over my heavy calves.  Any good suggestions for some to buy online?  I likely need a mild to moderate compression as the edema is mild.

I had to get compression stockings when I had my gigantic blood clot.  My doctor sent me to a special store to get it.  My leg was super swollen and they had appropriate wear.  Places like normal pharmacies will not have the special types.  I don't remember if you moved to a larger city or near one but there are probably ones online too.  I just haven't had to get any more.

4 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

An I love my compression hose. I've made peace with them and they help my legs feel so much better.

Ditto. It would be worth getting custom if you can't find them elsewhere to fit. I prefer open toed.

You can find them on Amazon. Search compression stockings women plus size.

I have used supporthose.com to get mine. They have instructions on how to measure your legs to get the right fit. I also have large calves and have had good luck with Sigvaris compression socks. I especially like the merino wool ones. My feet don't sweat as bad in them as they do in the nylon ones.  supporthose.com also carries a lot of other brands.  I would ask the cardiologist what level of compression you should be wearing.  Can you get by with the ones from WalMart or do you need greater compression. I wear 20-30 for the blood clots I tend to get in my superficial veins. Unfortunately, they are not cheap!