Menu

If you have used Excellence in Literature...

Did you assign the Author Profile papers? I'm thinking those sound like busywork. Essential to read and know the background info,  but not worth a writing assignment?

What about the Approach papers? I am thinking a few of these, but not lots. 

I am thinking of doing more short Response papers to aid thinking and discussion instead of the Author/Approach assignments. Looking for good questions/topics. Any good sources, besides SWB's books?

How did you schedule EiL? Dd is a good writer, but not a fast worker. so I am thinking read (and discuss) the first week and half or so. Write the first draft week two-three and revise week 4. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We did the Author Profile papers and the Approach papers. I felt like it added a lot to the study of the book. I think we followed a schedule roughly like you have said there. I remember it being four weeks per book, and we did 9 books. 

• Thanks 1

We did do the author profiles and approach papers. I thought it was good practice for her, but we may not do them this year. I haven't decided yet.

As far as scheduling, she had 3 weeks to read the book and one week to write the essay. She is a very slow reader, but a good writer so this pace works well. If a book was short, she only read for two weeks and then used the extra week for another unit with a longer book.

• Thanks 1

We did not do the approach papers or author profile papers, and we did not do a book a month. My kids just aren't that fast of readers and the other papers seemed like busywork. They did go through the context resources, which I felt were very worthwhile. When they were done with that they read for an hour or so per day til they were done with the book, then we discussed with questions I got online as a guide, then they took a week to write/edit a paper on it. We have been able to get through 6 or 7 a year this way.

• Like 1