Menu

S/O Strange or interesting stories of buying and selling homes

SpecialClassical

6 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I had a relative who wouldn't sell to someone because they didn't like them.  It was more pride than actually having the luxury because eventually they did sell to someone they found acceptable but at a greatly reduced price since it sat on the market for so long.  Some people are very odd. We simply accepted the first solid offer we got.

The house we are buying had some offers a year ago, for significantly more than we are paying,

But they are divorced and both have to agree so this may be a "screw you" situation.

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

A friend of mine told me yesterday that her mother refused to sell a house to some people she didn't like.  I wish I  had that kind of luxury, but I don't.  I sell to whoever wants to buy!

Me, too.  I really wanted to sell our house to a nice young couple instead of the guy who sat in the yard.  Oh, well.

• Sad 1

These stories are incredible.  It really reveals what people are like when they go through a major life change. 

I forgot about the realtor who added a zero at the end of our offer.  That would have been almost a million for our starter house. LOL 

Then there was the realtor who worked as a team with the seller's realtor instead of representing us and questioned us about how we knew valuable information about the process.  She and the other realtor were wondering how we knew that.  It burned me that she got paid when my mom was the realtor(former) who educated us on what to do when buying a foreclosure.  

Edited by SpecialClassical

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

People get passionate about certain things.  I was at a BBQ on Sunday and the owner of that house was telling me about the house she sold before buying her current house.  She said the new owners took out all of the trees in her yard once they moved in.   She lives down the street and so she saw them get removed.  She said she didn't think it would bother her as much as it did.

We sold our house to some friends. A few months later the wife sheepishly admitted she cut down the mature apricot tree to plant a couple shade trees. I promised her I didn't care and that it was her house now, but I was a little heartbroken. They hadn't lived there long enough to even get a crop of apricots and to know how amazing and delicious they were.

• Sad 1

Does being asked to leave the room so seller could pray to the Holy Spirit about whether to accept the offer count?  And that was just the start of the weirdness.  Suffice to say the people who sold is the house still own next door and we have nothing to do with them anymore.

3 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

We sold our house to some friends. A few months later the wife sheepishly admitted she cut down the mature apricot tree to plant a couple shade trees. I promised her I didn't care and that it was her house now, but I was a little heartbroken. They hadn't lived there long enough to even get a crop of apricots and to know how amazing and delicious they were.

I’d be devastated.  People really don’t know the value of having delicious homegrown fruit available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does being asked to leave the room so seller could pray to the Holy Spirit about whether to accept the offer count?  And that was just the start of the weirdness.  Suffice to say the people who sold is the house still own next door and we have nothing to do with them anymore.

Wow!

• Like 1