Menu

Math tutoring - White board help?

BlsdMama

So I am familiar with Zoom - is there a better medium than this?  I'm using it on a PC.

Essentially I'm tutoring a student in math.
I need to use a whiteboard proficiently.  I tried Zoom today and their whiteboard but I am using my mouse.  It's SO sloppy.  Can I attach my iPad by USB and use it to write?  Or is there a tool that would transfer to be able to quickly write using a pen of some sort?

Hi Kelly,

A teacher at the co-op where I teach showed me this one:

https://awwapp.com/

I think it probably works very well for most people.  I tried it with my English class and had trouble with it.  The difference, I think, was that I tried using it from home.  We have satellite internet, and somehow, I think that influenced how it worked.  

When I first tried it, it did work.  It was wonderful.  I never confirmed what the problem really was.  Give it a try.  

This app on the iPad is AMAZING:  https://explaineverything.com/

It's a shared whiteboard, so teacher and student can both write at the same time. I used a stylus, or sometimes just my finger. It also records sound, if you want it. There are "sheets" so when you fill up the screen, you just swipe over to a fresh sheet, and they're all saved together. 

I used it to tutor a student of mine who was on homebound instruction. We both loved it (he was only 9 at the time 🙂

I just re-read your post.

You need a graphics tablet--  it is a pen-like mouse.   I have the Wacom Intuos CTL-480   There are several models that are more pricey-- but this low level one is perfect for teaching Math (pricier ones are for digital art).

There is a small learning curve-- but it is SOOOO much easier and neater than using a regular mouse!!!

Amazon, Best Buy... most tech stores...

• Like 1