Menu

American History for 4th grade, Masterbooks, BJU, etc?

Janeway

I had thought I would use BJU Heritage Studies and start with 3 and maybe work through 4. But then someone mentioned Masterbooks Story of America. I checked that out and it looks good too. I have a lot of literature books. Through the years I have collected books that just look interesting and other books that I recognize from various reading lists. I really could just do this free style with the books I already have, which includes Stories of Pilgrims, tons of books that are encyclopdia style by DK and Usborne and such, and a variety of literature style books. I even have a book series on American History. I do not recall the name as it is on a shelf upstairs. I might edit this post later to add the name in when I go upstairs. 

Any suggestions or opinions?

I looked at American Story and while I loved the idea of it, I didn't like that there were 3 books to get through AH.  I wanted to do it in one condensed year at that age group.  
IF you like using literature, have you looked at Beautiful Feet's American History?  

BJU has made some outlandish claims in their textbooks (like justifying the KKK) that would make me extremely uncomfortable to trust their version of history from a moral standpoint.  I think anything you pick would probably be a better use of your time than scrutinizing what your children would be taught.