Menu

is this enough for next year for 5th & 8th grade?

I'm planning for my rising 5th and 8th graders for next year.  Am I forgetting anything?  Does this sound like enough but not too much?  I really need a plan that is as non-teacher-intensive as possible.

5th grader:
Personal Bible reading
Bible memory work
Finish IEW SWI-A & start All Things Fun & Fascinating
Dictation
Fix-It Grammar level 1|
Teaching Textbooks 5/start 6
Typing
Piano lessons
Booklist for literature/reading (audiobooks as he's dyslexic)

Things we'll do as a family (8th grader doesn't participate in family science/history but does her own):
Family devotions
Vocabulary
Greek/Latin word roots
Picture study
Poetry
Poetry memorization
Composer study
Geography--SCM's Visits to N. America + Seterra
Science--I'm putting together a literature-based geology study
History--probably early modern American & world history

8th grader:
Personal Bible reading
Bible memory work
Finish IEW SWI-B & start SICC-B
Fix-It Grammar 2
Megawords 7 & 8
Interest-led history
Rainbow Science yr 1
Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1/2
Booklist, will have her discuss a few of them for literature
Piano lessons
Typing
Logic--The Thinking Toolbox

Edited by caedmyn

Looks like all your subjects are fully covered, except Spelling for the 5th grader, which I assume you accidentally left it off the list. ;)

The only thing I'd suggest is making sure they have regular time each week for "down time" and exploring personal interests or hobbies.
Plus the whole family get some regular physical activity.
And possibly an extracurricular outside the home for the 8th grader, as the social need of homeschool students tends to increase in the middle/high school years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evanthe said:

Yes, that is a ton!  It's more than what we're doing.  We're not capable of having too many moving parts or we get overwhelmed.  Good luck with your year!

What looks like too much or unnecessary?  I do tend to overschedue and end up dropping things.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:04 AM, caedmyn said:

What looks like too much or unnecessary?  I do tend to overschedue and end up dropping things.

It would be a lot for us, but it might be just fine for you guys!  I recognize it as a Charlotte Mason line-up, which I love, but have always had a hard time implementing in real life.

One thing that caught my eye is the Literature based geology as science for your 5th grader (and younger siblings). Lit. based with him being the oldest kid and not a strong reader might not be my first choice, as I could see it becoming very parent-intensive if you end up reading all the books aloud. Would the younger kids listen to audiobooks together for the study?

55 minutes ago, Bocky said:

One thing that caught my eye is the Literature based geology as science for your 5th grader (and younger siblings). Lit. based with him being the oldest kid and not a strong reader might not be my first choice, as I could see it becoming very parent-intensive if you end up reading all the books aloud. Would the younger kids listen to audiobooks together for the study?

I'm using a spine that I think is written for mid-elementary age which has very short chapters, and mostly picture books for go-alongs and hopefully some Youtube videos too.  I don't think it will take any longer than the SCM literature based science we did this year, which took roughly 15-20 mins/day for one 12 week term.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, WendyAndMilo said:

As long as all of those things aren't everyday, it looks fine 🙂

Do you mean the family studies, or the individual work?  The family subjects other than history/geography/science take 3-5 minutes a day each, and I'll rotate things like picture study, poetry, and composer study, probably doing one term/trimester of each.  I'd like to do one term each of science, history, and geography also but we may have too much history for that too work.