Menu

Which Grammar for 7-9th

Mom28kds

I will have 3 home next year. 7th has always been home but my 8th & 9th will be coming home from PS (been there 2 years). Both my older struggle in school.  In fact 1 has executive function issues so reviewing things are very helpful for her to remember.  I'd like to do a grammar with all 3 next year to be sure they all have a good base. I'm not sure how much the older 2 know. It would be good to have a nice review even if they have had some grammar. What would you recommend for all 3 kids. My 7th has done EIW for the last 2 years so has only had a little grammar. I plan to do IEW with all 3 but would like something to help them have some solid grammar. 

My 6th grader just finished Cozy Grammar which is aimed at the middle school age. It starts with the basics-noun, verb, etc, but also goes into more complex like types of nouns (ok, that's not really complex, just all I could think of at the moment). 
It's watch a video then do a worksheet. Actually, I found a used DVD version, but now, I think it's all online, though with 3, that might be kind of expensive, I haven't looked for awhile. It's an older lady who talks about it and gives good examples who teaches it.

There are only 27 or so lessons, so we did one lesson a week, and it didn't even take the whole school year. But this is my child that doesn't need lots of review, so that part of it might not fit with your kids.

• Like 1

You could do Analytical Grammar at those ages. You might want to spread the lessons out over the year, rather than teach it the first semester with periodic review the second semester.

I only made mine complete a selection of the exercises. If they got them correct we moved in, and if they struggled we worked through some of the exercises we had skipped.

Edited by SusanC
English grammar can be tricky. And pricey.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SusanC said:

You could do Analytical Grammar at those ages. You might want to spread the lessons out over the year, rather than teach it the first semester with periodic review the second semester.

I only made mine complete a selection of the exercises. If they got them correct we moved in, and if they struggled we worked through some of the exercises we had skipped.

Were you happy with AG? I've wondered about it. Is it worth the cost?

9 hours ago, alisha said:

My 6th grader just finished Cozy Grammar which is aimed at the middle school age. It starts with the basics-noun, verb, etc, but also goes into more complex like types of nouns (ok, that's not really complex, just all I could think of at the moment). 
It's watch a video then do a worksheet. Actually, I found a used DVD version, but now, I think it's all online, though with 3, that might be kind of expensive, I haven't looked for awhile. It's an older lady who talks about it and gives good examples who teaches it.

There are only 27 or so lessons, so we did one lesson a week, and it didn't even take the whole school year. But this is my child that doesn't need lots of review, so that part of it might not fit with your kids.

Thank you. I've never heard of this. I'll look into it 🙂

12 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Were you happy with AG? I've wondered about it. Is it worth the cost?

I was happy that it covered everything I knew was important and some topics I hadn't thought of. There was not a ton of teacher guidance, so in one or two places I had to do some background work on my own. I'm satisfied that we are done with grammar lessons as we move into high school.

As I said, I scored a couple of bargains, and with that cost spread over the years it wasn't too bad.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

You could do Easy Grammar Plus with all three.

Can I jump right into this even if they don't have a lot of grammar or done the previous books? I looked at it at the convention but couldn't tell.

19 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Can I jump right into this even if they don't have a lot of grammar or done the previous books? I looked at it at the convention but couldn't tell.

We jumped in to Easy Grammar Plus with a 7th & 9th grader.  It's gone well.  There are a couple things we don't love, but it's a straight-forward, get it done, grammar and they don't complain about it.  Win-win.

• Like 1

My older two are 7th and 9th and we’ve been doing AG. It’s working well. We’re doing the first season slowly, spread out through the year. (Really, it’s just been an insane year and we’re squeezing it in when I have the time and energy.) I like it. I’ll add the review books for next year and do the next two seasons at some point. I found the teacher’s book used and a couple of barely used student books so the cost was lower. 

• Like 1