Menu

Dog sprayed by skunk on face

Pen

I have tomato juice, also hydrogen peroxide and baking  soda. Am worried about getting things in his eyes.  He seems to have partly self treated by rolling a lot on grass, but my eyes are stinging just from proximity to him.  

And, dog co-sleeps with people.

Thoughts?

My white cat was sprayed in the face when I was a teen, mentioning the white because I could see exactly where it was.  We used tomato’s, lots of canned tomato’s after I had soaped him pretty well.  My cat was large, 17 lbs, and hysterical because it was right between the eyes.  I was bitten in the whole process so be very careful.  I wouldn’t do peroxide unless he is very calm,  honestly would hesitate even then.

My cat smelled odd for a week or so as I remember but acceptable.  Allowed in the house, on laps, and in my bed.  He was also peach colored for a few days but OK. 

Good luck!  

There are things you can buy now that supposedly work better if you live near shops and can sen someone.

• Like 1

The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda with dawn dish detergent is better than tomato sauce. If you can somehow hold a towel over the dogs eyes it will help keep the mix out. It is definitely a two to three person job. Don't wait to long to wash the dog as the skunk oil sinks into the skin. I made the mistake of leaving the dog on the deck for the night and bathing her in the morning. She reeked for weeks. i feel your pain.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, datgh said:

The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda with dawn dish detergent is better than tomato sauce. If you can somehow hold a towel over the dogs eyes it will help keep the mix out. It is definitely a two to three person job. Don't wait to long to wash the dog as the skunk oil sinks into the skin. I made the mistake of leaving the dog on the deck for the night and bathing her in the morning. She reeked for weeks. i feel your pain.

This.  Same thing happened to our dog.  Of course it was late at night and we had to find a place open late to buy more hydrogen peroxide and baking soda because he needed several treatments - being a big dog.  But, it worked really well.  We followed with a regular dog shampoo.  He only had a slight lingering smell for the next week or so, especially if he got wet.  

Here is a good recipe.  

• Like 1

My understanding is that the best remedy is to rub the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/Dawn mixture onto the dog's dry fur. Massage it in well, then let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. I'd follow up with a regular shampoo to make sure I had all the skunk mixture washed out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

My understanding is that the best remedy is to rub the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/Dawn mixture onto the dog's dry fur. Massage it in well, then let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. I'd follow up with a regular shampoo to make sure I had all the skunk mixture washed out.

Having had 2 dogs in past each get skunked (once— no one dog seems to have erred twice ), I had the peroxide and the juice available—but being right near eyes was a major concern.

I got the smell gone out by ears and top back of head where I was able to be thorough.  But the forehead and down between eyes to muzzle area is still quite bad as of this morning.   Probably even worse than I realize because I am so surrounded.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

Having had 2 dogs in past each get skunked (once— no one dog seems to have erred twice ), I had the peroxide and the juice available—but being right near eyes was a major concern.

I got the smell gone out by ears and top back of head where I was able to be thorough.  But the forehead and down between eyes to muzzle area is still quite bad as of this morning.   Probably even worse than I realize because I am so surrounded.

If you happen to have some nighttime eye ointment you can put some of that in the eyes to protect them from the deskunking mixture. Groomers often use something like this for regular bathing, but I think Refresh PM or similar human ointments would accomplish the same purpose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

If you happen to have some nighttime eye ointment you can put some of that in the eyes to protect them from the deskunking mixture. Groomers often use something like this for regular bathing, but I think Refresh PM or similar human ointments would accomplish the same purpose.

I don’t have anything like that now but will get some to add to my supplies kit ASAP. 

I wonder if something like vitamin E oil could be used.  

ETA : he very likely has skunk spray on his eyelids and all around them too.

Edited by Pen

My guess is any kind of oil would act as a barrier, and I don't think would cause any harm (other than blurry vision for awhile).

Being sprayed on the eyelids, though -- Yikes. That is a whole different issue from protecting the eyes from the de-skunking solution!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1