Menu

Tick tock...

I suspect we'll keep going right on with comics, lol. 

It also reflects a strategy change on my part. He had been waking up and going straight to his own thing and he didn't really want a list made by me saying what the plan was. So I asked him if he'd like a list each night of the things HE wanted to do the next morning when he woke up... and then I conveniently made sure things besides Nintendo and tv were on there! Boom. So now when we read and he has a question, I'm like oh WE CAN LOOK THAT UP TOMORROW MORNING, LET'S PUT IT ON YOUR LIST. :biggrin:

So this morning it was ventriloquism and looking up how to do it. Now mind you I'm a little scared actually to let him do that or even try, lest he mess up his speech, mercy. But still, it was a total win as far as behavior and interaction and having him wake up wanting to be together. And we put independent reading on the list, score. He's realizing he actually LIKES to read for breaks, which never ever had occurred to him!

So I'm pleased. With me he's reading grade-leveled worksheets for science, social studies, and geography, and then he's doing this independent reading. That's pretty nice.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mainer said:

That is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Woo hoo, celebration time!!!!!!!!

I know, isn't it crazy? Three days in a row!

And get this, today he starts rattling off this whole list of steps for a plan. (Plan X, step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4) I'm like WHO IS THIS?!?! We've been doing these games where you help someone find a hidden object by giving directions, I was realizing today it may have expanded his ability to hold multiple clauses or thoughts of language in his head and process them. (It's in the middle drawer under the dish rack, toward the back, inside a small cup...) It's something they'll do with IEP goals for syntax, trying to increase the number of phrases and clauses, and I think I just kind of accidentally stumbled onto it with sort of a naturalistic, playful level of support. I see it in our read alouds too, where he has x number of phrases or clauses and the sentence goes one longer and then thoughts DROP and his comprehension crashes. But he's actually starting to realize it's happening, because he asked me to go back and read it again, go figure. We're reading Dr. Doolittle and it has these complex sentences with layers of phrases and clauses. I've been reading it really slowly trying to help him stretch for comprehension. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, PeterPan said:

We're reading Dr. Doolittle and it has these complex sentences with layers of phrases and clauses. I've been reading it really slowly trying to help him stretch for comprehension. 

Yay! I need to find a book like that to work with a kid, too. Great work!!!!!

Just thinking about how far he's come is astonishing.

• Like 1