Menu

Probability for Elementary?

knitgrl

Greetings! We have been using MEP. When we were in Yr2 last year, probability was introduced as a topic, and dd LOVED it. We are coming back to it again this year and she is as thrilled as ever. Last year I poked around, trying to find additional resources for her to play with this topic, and I could find nothing that was geared for kids under 7th grade. Any ideas or resources about how to let her enjoy this topic beyond the curriculum?

Probability is covered in any of the Zaccaro Challenge books. It's only one chapter though. It's covered in Singapore Math starting in 4B. It comes up as a topic in Glen Ellison's Hard Math for Elementary as well.

Julie at Living Math has a list of readers about probability here:

https://www.livingmath.net/probability-and-data

• Like 2

There's a GEMS guide about probability. It was okay. It had some good activities. I remember we started with that and then did a lot of games and looking at the probability in different things.

The Murderous Maths book about probability is excellent and would be at just the right level for a upper elementary/middle school. There are some picture books, but it's worth it to do that. Read it aloud if it's too advanced.

Edited by Farrar

12 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Beast Academy has probability in book 4D. You could sign her up for a month of BA Online to play around with the problems there (it includes access to the student guide online as well).

We just finished BA 2A, albeit very slowly, only a page or two per week. Some of it she finds easy, but the challenge problems are often still challenging for her at that level. I am hesitant to put book 4D in front of her. I really floundered with her and math in 1st grade, especially getting math facts down, so she's been behind a bit. After ignoring Prodigy for months, she got back on and they say she's at a 4th grade level, for whatever that's worth. We are also just getting into long division and she says she loves it, so I dunno.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

There's a GEMS guide about probability. It was okay. It had some good activities. I remember we started with that and then did a lot of games and looking at the probability in different things.

The Murderous Maths book about probability is excellent and would be at just the right level for a upper elementary/middle school. There are some picture books, but it's worth it to do that. Read it aloud if it's too advanced.

I've never heard of GEMS guides -- I'll have to check it out. We have the Murderous Maths box set. She's read through all of them at least three times, probably much more than that. They are a big hit around here.

3 hours ago, knitgrl said:

We just finished BA 2A, albeit very slowly, only a page or two per week. Some of it she finds easy, but the challenge problems are often still challenging for her at that level. I am hesitant to put book 4D in front of her. I really floundered with her and math in 1st grade, especially getting math facts down, so she's been behind a bit. After ignoring Prodigy for months, she got back on and they say she's at a 4th grade level, for whatever that's worth. We are also just getting into long division and she says she loves it, so I dunno.

Purely for perspective, BA 2A came out when my kid was in 4A or 4B. I bought it for her just for fun because she adores the beasts, and the challenge problems in 2A were *still* hard for her. The challenge problems are meant to be just plain hard, no matter what the kid’s level is for non-challenge problems. 

The BA Probability chapter is awesome, but the kid would need to have multiplication down pretty well first, both single digit and multi-digit. That’s the only prerequisite.

• Thanks 1