Menu

I need a good idea for science unit study

My 8th and 9th grader are going to finish their science in a few weeks. They've done introductions to biology, chemistry and physical science this past year. Next year they'll do environmental science, then biology and then chemistry. There are various reasons for the unconventional schedule, but I won't go into those. 

I'm looking for an 8 week unit study to finish out the year. Anything that you've found that you loved?

I would vote for a science you may not get to otherwise. 🙂

Prentice Hall Explorer: Earth Science
(7 chapters, so do one per week, which gives you 1 week extra if needing more time on one of the chapters -- OR, if the chapters are too long to do 1 per week, then pick 4 chapters and spend 2 weeks per chapter)
+
TOPS Rocks & Minerals 
(36 lessons, and most were easy to do 2-4 lessons in 30-45 minutes, so you can pretty much knock out all of it by doing 4-5 lessons per week -- OR, pick and choose lessons to fit your 8 week schedule)

Prentice Hall Explorer: Astronomy
(It looks like it has 4 units, so 2 weeks per unit:  Earth/Moon/Sun; Exploring Space; Solar System; Stars/Galaxies/Universe)
+
4-H Astronomy Activity Guide (FREE; 36 activities)
or
TOPS: Planets & Stars (20 activities)

Forensic Science investigations?

Or... What about a series of biographies on key scientists/discoveries?
Or have them do an in-depth Science Fair project, involving making measurements, collecting data, graphing findings, etc.?
Or a unit on Anatomy, if your future Biology text doesn't include that?
Or if you don't specifically need to do a *natural science*, use that 8 weeks to study:
   - Health, Nutrition, and Fitness
   - Robotics
   - Rocketry

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

NASA Amusement Park Physics for Middle Schoolers

https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/amuse_park_physics.pdf

We like Ellen McHenry ... my younger one did her The Brain along with a Great Courses lecture series last year for something different. Most of her books can be adapted to an 8 week schedule. Botany in 8 lessons was a good fit for us, along with Wicked Plants and some documentaries. 

Edited by theelfqueen