Menu

Spanish resources for determined 6yr old who wants to teach himself

Noreen Claire

DS6 insists on learning Spanish. He doesn't want me to teach him, but he wants to learn. He just started using DuoLingo, but he's still learning to read so it's not ideal.

Can anyone recommend any other apps, videos, books, audiobooks, or websites that he could use to learn Spanish, with very little parental involvement?

Edited by Noreen Claire
Typos. Ugh.

The videos on this site are excellent...my son was picking up stuff from it immediately.   They didn't have a full curriculum when we first found it, just videos and workbooks (the workbooks I wouldn't suggest for a 6 year old). 

https://www.foreignlanguagesforkids.com/

There's a lot of other great Spanish resources online....

http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2017/09/free-online-spanish-resources.html

From the link above, Perro y Gato was another of my kids faves.    Mi Mundo in Palabras I would wait on until you've exhausted some of your other resources...it's excellent, but completely in Spanish and not completely things a child can figure out by themselves so I'd save until he's learned a little Spanish.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It isn't really a teaching thing, but my dc liked watching Pocoyo in Spanish. Peppa the Pig is also available in Spanish. Both those we found on YouTube. There was a pbs show called Oh, Noah! that was about a boy learning Spanish. You might check for a Quizlet Spanish deck that suits you. Our library has Muzzy available for learning Spanish. 

It is interesting that he wants to do it on his own. Foreign Language can be difficult in your own. So can convincing a 6 year old to change their mind about something, though.

• Like 1