Menu

FYI: AoPS Academy opening in Fremont, California

Arcadia

https://fremont.aopsacademy.org/

Art of Problem Solving is proud to announce our newest AoPS Academy location in Fremont, CA! AoPS Academy offers in-person math and language arts courses for motivated students in grades 2-12 during both the school year and the summer.

Please visit the Fremont website below to view more details about the location, the course catalog, tuition, job opportunities, and contact information: 

AoPS Academy Fremont Website

We will start taking student applications and announce the course schedule for the 2019-2020 school year in early summer. We plan to offer summer classes starting in 2020. Please join the email list below to be notified when we will start accepting applications at Fremont”

Maybe not @SeaConquest, lots of Asians have moved to the north Dallas suburbs. In Plano, the population of Asians doubled since 2000. It's around 20% now. I have a doctor friend from college who lives there. There are Asian groceries there as well. Not sure if the Asian number includes Asian Indians, but I have heard those numbers have increased significantly as well due to the increase in tech jobs in North Dallas.

Edited by calbear

9 hours ago, calbear said:

Maybe not @SeaConquest, lots of Asians have moved to the north Dallas suburbs. In Plano, the population of Asians doubled since 2000. It's around 20% now. I have a doctor friend from college who lives there. There are Asian groceries there as well. Not sure if the Asian number includes Asian Indians, but I have heard those numbers have increased significantly as well due to the increase in tech jobs in North Dallas.

Interesting. I just couldn't see the Friday Night Lights crowd spending their weekends doing math, so that would make much more sense.

15 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

The Bay Area is a no-brainer. Texas is an interesting next choice:

https://aopsacademy.org/campuses

Not really, @SeaConquest. I asked AOPS a couple of years ago why they are not opening a school in the bay area and they said that there are too many options already available in the bay area compared to other parts of the country. They are right, considering the lines of parents waiting outside to pick up kids at RSM locations, Alpastar locations, StarLeague locations etc when I am on my commute daily.

I plan to attend the Fremont open house in the summer.

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Not really, @SeaConquest. I asked AOPS a couple of years ago why they are not opening a school in the bay area and they said that there are too many options already available in the bay area compared to other parts of the country. They are right, considering the lines of parents waiting outside to pick up kids at RSM locations, Alpastar locations, StarLeague locations etc when I am on my commute daily.

I plan to attend the Fremont open house in the summer.

I can only speak to the demographics that I see at the AoPS Academy in San Diego and my experience living/working in various parts of Texas in the military and as a management consultant. But, that was eons ago, and it sounds like the demographics are changing in that area of Texas. Don't get me wrong. I'm stoked that RR is expanding the Academy. It's been a huge blessing for us, and I am glad to see that more kids will have the opportunity to attend. I just wish AoPS hit up corporate sponsors for scholarship money (some economic diversity would be nice). I have to believe that there are enough AoPS alums working in powerful corporations that they could make it happen. 

Edited by SeaConquest

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I just wish AoPS hit up corporate sponsors for scholarship money (some economic diversity would be nice). 

My guess is that AoPS might expect people to utilize charter school funds to pay for English and Math classes. Their location is about 4 miles from Basis International Fremont (Private) which is also very popular. 

ETA:

I see more racial/ethnic diversity with people using charter school funds for B&M classes. No idea on economic diversity.

Edited by Arcadia

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

My guess is that AoPS might expect people to utilize charter school funds to pay for English and Math classes. Their location is about 4 miles from Basis International Fremont (Private) which is also very popular. 

But, there are virtually no homeschoolers at the academies. It's almost all public and private afterschoolers from the best schools in SD, and those afterschoolers are very homogeneous demographically. We've been there for two years, and I think I recall meeting one other homeschooling parent in that time. The general consensus among homeschoolers (who tend to be one income families) is that the academy classes (even using funds) are just too pricey. I would just love to see AoPS do some outreach to outstanding math students of lesser financial means.

6 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

The general consensus among homeschoolers (who tend to be one income families) is that the academy classes (even using funds) are just too pricey. 

When my kids attended science and math class at another approved vendor, majority were using charter school funds. The classes were about $2k per subject per year then and is now $2200 per subject per year. I was thinking the people who attended that approved vendor’s math offering might switch to the AoPS academy instead.

“The 18/19 IF amount is $2,400.00 (TK-8 students; per student); $1,200.00 each funding period and $3,000 (high school students; per student); $1,500.00 each funding period.” quoted from one of the popular charter school 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

ETA:

I see more racial/ethnic diversity with people using charter school funds for B&M classes. No idea on economic diversity.

This is only possible at the California locations. Their other locations are all in states that do not offer charter funds or any financial support for homeschoolers.

The classes are definitely too expensive for me to use charter funds. It costs about the same for a child to take one 2-hour weekly class at AOPS as for my child to take 1-2 full days of enrichment classes with any other provider here.

3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

I just wish AoPS hit up corporate sponsors for scholarship money (some economic diversity would be nice). 

My impression is that AOPS is a small company operating like a startup and their resources are limited and their employees wear many hats and fill in many roles. I myself got several emails from the book authors when my son used my email account to contact them about questions. I am impressed that they took the time to answer questions when they have so much else to do. 

They might do more in terms of community outreach when they are more established, is my guess. Maintaining high quality is hard work and they seem to do it well!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

My impression is that AOPS is a small company operating like a startup and their resources are limited and their employees wear many hats and fill in many roles. I myself got several emails from the book authors when my son used my email account to contact them about questions. I am impressed that they took the time to answer questions when they have so much else to do. 

They might do more in terms of community outreach when they are more established, is my guess. Maintaining high quality is hard work and they seem to do it well!

Again, don't get me wrong. I adore AoPS. I think they are a phenomenal company. The teachers are outstanding. Everyone is caring and goes out of their way to really develop these kids. That's why I would give my left kidney to ensure that my kids get the chance to attend, if that's what they want to do. The fact that every other kid is walking around in their mom/dad's MIT/Stanford sweatshirt and pulling away in a Tesla is literally the only negative thing that I can say about AoPS. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

As the mom of a full time AoPS employee, you are spot on!

• Like 1

I can understand why homeschoolers aren't opting to use AOPS. Doing the math, I can pay for about 3 high quality online outsourced classes for what it costs for one year of math at AOPS. The math doesn't work for me. I'm willing to support him as he studies AOPS, but I'm not married to the curriculum either. A lot of homeschooling families are willing to do that or do the less expensive online option. These other families have a lot of disposable income and a willingness to outsource this out. I also get that there's a certain demographic who is willing to spend that much money on a math class. It's my demographic. I completely get the mentality because lots of them are among my friends and family.

Of course, according to the math, my path to opt to homeschool is $$$ compared to their path because we are losing a second income. 

• Like 1