Menu

Latin for Children...2nd grade?

Janeway

I think I will start "Latin for Children" with my 3rd grader who will be a 4th grader. I was thinking of waiting and starting this summer. Problem is, my 1st grader (who will be a 2nd grader by then) is one of those "everything he does, I can do too" kind of little siblings. Should I just order two student books, or will be just be over her head so I should plan to do it during the school year while she is gone to school? 

edited to add: I am not looking to add an additional program for her, I am just thinking of letting her be in the lessons with her brother.

Edited by Janeway

I am in agreement with the others. There is a lot of grammar in LFC and most 2nd graders haven't covered it.  We started my youngest in 4th grade but we were doing FLL4 also so it worked out. He did need some help with some things. 

On the Latin for Teachers video, Karen Moore said they start LFC-A in 3rd grade but they take it slowly with lots and lots of reciting and repetition.  Also she said that she coordinates with the grammar teacher to make sure the students are getting the grammar before they cover it in Latin.  

Edited by cintinative

I'm teaching Latin For Children to my 3rd, 4th, and two 5th graders.

I am grammar heavy and always have been and tbh my 3rd grader keeps up, but barely just. His English grammar oftentimes is hand in hand (predicate nominative, for example, is a term he learned in both in English and Latin this year at the same time.  He knew NOUN, but not distinct noun jobs.)  That isn't necessarily terrible thing. But you should be prepared to shore up a LOT of grammar. Vocab sometimes also moves a bit too fast for him (and he had two years of Song School to help).

I wont say don't try it.  But I would go in prepared to slow down to half time and supplement heavily.  And I'd be prepared for the younger to quit. It's a fairly dry program.  

Another option is to have the younger do vocab and derivitive study, but not the grammar.  They can just memorize all the first declensions, and not worry about the rest.  Oftentimes when my 3rd grader is frustrwted I say we can work together and he translates the root and I do the endings.  He knows the nouns, and if it's singular and plural, but then deciding which sex and which case adds 15 different possibilities!  Which can be overwhelming to a child under 10.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1