Menu

Sewing 101

Gil

The Boys are required to learn how to sew. Past attempts at lessons were lack luster at best. This year, sewing must be done with more regularity and they have to progress in it.
I need a book of SIMPLE Sewing projects. So, take the book of the easiest, most simplistic sewing projects that you know of, then find one that is 3x simpler. THAT is what I'm looking for. 

I found Sew School 1 and Sew School 2 and they look simple, but before I hit "order" I want to know if there is a book out there even simpler? 

The sewing school books you have linked are fantastic.  I own both.  The projects really are dead simple.  Excellent instructions.  Full sized patterns included.  The first book is all hand-sewing projects.  The second book is machine sewing.

I think they are exactly what you are looking for.

I also appreciate the authors effort to be inclusive.  There are projects that will appeal to both boys and girls.  And there are pictures of both boys and girls sewing.  Pictures of kids of lots of different ages.  I have two boys, and I get very annoyed by cutesy handcraft book authors (knitting, sewing etc) who seem to think that boys who craft don't exist. 

My only complaint is that the coil binding doesn't seem very robust.  But we haven't wrecked it yet, so maybe not.

ETA:  I also like the chapter on mending "Recycle and Repair" in the first book.  Very practical

Edited by wathe
  • Thanks 1

As a sewer, those look great! The projects are great ones that are fun and easy. It seems to teach what you need to know in a way that's easy and step by step. I think you've found what you need. 

I also have 2 boys and they would really like most of these projects.

Edited by alisha

Sewing School 1 was a hit here, and chosen because it met my two requirements - super simple, and projects I believed my kid would willingly do. After several projects, I still believe it met those requirements well.

Sewing School 2 was a total bust for us. I don’t know if the projects were simple enough, but my kid took a look through it, declared it full of useless and boring projects, and wanted nothing to do with it. I’m fortunate in that I had her look at in in a bookstore before buying it, so I wasn’t out any money. We decided to take a risk on my (very rudimentary) machine sewing skills, bought some very beginner patterns for clothes, and she learned with those after practicing stitching on the cheapest muslin we could buy. That said, this was a less simple approach than my ideal, and we did have to resort to a couple YouTube videos when the very simple patterns stretched a bit past my knowledge.

Sewing School Book 1 is a dog-eared, beloved friend here. One nice thing about it is that has pictures of both girls and boys, and it's not too frilly or fluffy, if you know what I mean. The patterns are full size and instructions are good. It gives you a supply list, which is very helpful.

I got my oldest started with it at the age of 7, with a stack of colored felt squares purchased pretty inexpensively from Amazon as well as other supplies (craft thread, etc.) that are listed in the book. I bought a large craft bag with many internal pockets to keep the supplies in. Book 1 is mainly hand sewing, and the kids get to make stuff they can use like a needle case for their sewing needles, etc. 

Sewing School Book 2 is reasonably good, too, but if I remember correctly, it is more targeted for girls. Perhaps someone with a more recent memory can chime in with regards to that. I would get book 1 only for now and see how your kids do with it.

ETA.

One of the "level 1 projects" is super simple - cut out a rectangle out of felt, sew one button (with instructions), make a cut for the button hole. Voila - needle case. 

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme

26 minutes ago, parent said:

My daughter is very interested in sewing.  I do not sew besides an occasional button and hand stitch a little but have never used a machine.

I have added Sewing School Book1 to my Amazon cart, but is a machine required?  Are techniques easy for a non sewing parent?

Sewing School 1 is primarily hand sewing, with 1-2 machine sewn projects that can easily be skipped or postponed. The techniques are simple and well explained in the book, but you can also search YouTube for “how to do an____ stitch” if there’s anything you feel would better be seen with video than in pictures; the book names the stitches for you.