Menu

Memoria Press or Sonlight or...

mom2kando

Hello,

My daughter is using Classical Conversations Challenge A this year as a 6th grader. I don't think we will continue. I also know myself as a homeschool mom and we need the boxes to check- at least as a starting point (we do venture off when needed) With that being said, I am curious about opinions on the following...

We already use Writing and Rhetoric and we LOVE it so we will continue next year

I am thinking AOPS for Pre Algebra-she dislikes math (although she is good at it) because she can't be "creative" and I think this may be a good approach for her

We will do CAP Latin too (Latin alive I think?)

For the remainder I am torn between

• Sonlight History of Science Core J
  • Memoria Press 7th Grade (subbing CAP products for writing and Latin)
  • Oak Meadow (no Bible study so I would have to find one)
  • Simply Charlotte Mason

Thanks 🙂 

22 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

A couple of questions. By box checking, do you mean you need/want a preplanned schedule for most or all subjects? 

What do you find appealing about each of the programs that you are considering? Is there a certain focus in particular that you want for 7th grade? 

Answers to those may help get you a more focused answer than people just answering what they thought of each program. They're all fairly different in scope and tone, imo. I haven't used all, but I've used a few and they aren't very much alike. 

LOL! Yes, you are correct-they are quite different from each other. Thank you for asking, I will try to clarify a bit.

My goal for my 7th grader is simply to see her continue to grow. I'd like her circle to expand as she builds on old knowledge and acquires new knowledge. She loves to read and learn new things. I just want her to enjoy herself on her journey and to continue asking questions and seeking answers.

I do like a preplanned schedule (eg. "read pages x-xx) otherwise I forget things

I also like questions relating to readings- not necessarily as a word for word question/answer session, but they get me on the right track, sort of like a guided narration

I like memoria press because it seems thorough, I like the classical studies it offers, and... if I'm being completely honest I like the price for the full grade curriculum (I'd sell what we won't use)

I like Sonlight because it has bible study included, and uses a lot of literature and includes read alouds which is my kids favorite time of the day. We have also used it in the past so it is familiar

I like Oak Meadow because it seems simple-sort of one stop shopping and not a lot of switching from book to book for each subject. The Science looks like it would be fun and I like the literature selections

I like that Simply Charlotte Mason includes morning time. My kids LOVE morning time. I don't often get to all I would like to do with them (Poetry/picture study/nature study...the charlotte mason stuff) and I feel like the schedule will help- but I am not sure that is enough academically and feel like I would have to supplement? I may be wrong though?

I am also totally open to other suggestions as well

Edited by mom2kando

I have really grown to love MP and in the older grades I think that is where they really shine but this is coming from someone who is a total classicist nerd so take that for what it's worth. Your student really does need to have passion for the classics and by classics I mean classical studies. It isn't for everyone but I find deep value in it. Sonlight is fine, alot of reading and I don't feel it takes the book study as in depth as I like but they do schedule alot of great books. I have not had much exposure to Oak Meadow. I would stick with CAP if it is working though. I love that curriculum.

I have used Sonlight, Classical Conversations, and Memoria Press.  I have also compared all three very thoroughly (making spreadsheets and charts).  I have listed the strengths and weaknesses of each program, compared the books read, compared the "ending" point of each program (where the child will be by graduation), what each program is lacking, and where each program needs to be supplemented, etc. etc.    So, I could honestly give you a very long reply, but I am short on time.  I will try to remember to come back later and give more details of MY thoughts on the process.    (I have also previously used CAP Latin and CAP W&R so I can compare those with Memoria Press too.)   

Again, I don't have a ton of time---but I will say that I switched to a full Memoria Press core in 4th grade, and I have LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it.   Like others have said, it is a REAL classical education--not "classical lite", so you need to be someone who sees value in that type of education.    (I do still buy and provide many sonlight readers and read alouds for free reading suggestions for the kids.)   

If you are the type of person who has become burnt out with planning,  or perhaps you have been feeling like you are drinking out of a firehose trying to implement Classical Conversations or The Well Trained Mind or a Charlotte Mason approach at home, then a Memoria Press core might be a good choice for you.  (It is classical, however, strangely, I have found that a real classical education is not that far off from the education Charlotte Mason actually describes.)   If you are the type of person whose days feel overly long and complicated, perhaps like you are doing way too many subjects, and switching between too many things, then a Latin Centered Curriculum  (like Memoria Press) might be a good option for you.    And if you are someone who really sees value in reading and studying and even translating the great books included in a Classical Education, perhaps you have read books like Climbing Parnassus or you want an education more similar to the one experienced by C.S. Lewis or Thomas Jefferson, then an Memoria Press core might be for you. If you are someone who wants Truth, Beauty, and Goodness sprinkled throughout your entire day in every subject you teach (not just mornign time!), then a MP core might be for you.   If you want something that has been tested in real schools by real children (so they don't try to schedule too much each day and they have proven results), then a Memoria Press core might be for you.   (note--I will say that my experience using MP has been similar to the linked article above when it comes to results.    My kids have always tested well, but they went up an average of 3 full grade levels in all subjects in their woodcock-johnson standardized test scores in one school year after switching to MP.  Previously, we were using a blended CC/Sonlight/TWTM approach. They are also testing Post High School in many subjects using their Iowa/Standford test after one year of Memoria Press.   I hesitate to share that because it sounds like a brag, and I don't mean it to sound that way.   I also don't think test results mean everything or share the whole picture of course.)

On the other hand, if you are more relaxed and like the idea of just reading aloud a lot, a Sonlight core might be for you.  If you are the type of person who longs for exposure rather than retention and mastery, then a Sonlight core is for you.   If you are the type of person who wants to read lots and lots of books (exposure to much), rather than fewer books but going VERY deep in your studies (mastery of little), then a Sonlight core is for you.  (I really like parts of Sonlight and may use them in the future for American History since I love the Hakim series so much.  And like I said, I still refer to their book lists when looking for good books to hand the kids.)    Whenever using Sonlight, I longed for our days to look like the kids in the catlogs....reading in treehouses or by ponds and the like.   In reality, it was pretty much the same as it is now....I just always felt behind and stressed trying to get it all done. 

I won't compare MP to CC, only because I am biased and think that MP is much better.  (After using both.)  BUT, that is just my own opinion and experience, and I am sure that many others would disagree with me.  :)  I also don't like to open up the anti-CC-can of worms that often happens on this board.

I do not think that MP is perfect. I also make a few substitutions.   My kids are very much into math and science, so I do use AOPS for math.   (Which I also loooooooove!)   I also always add in more advanced science too.  (But I still enjoy MP nature study too.)   I also supplement with public speaking practice.  That is something that CC brought to the table that I couldn't replicate at home.  So we joined a speech and debate team for homeschoolers.  We also use IEW for writing.   My children both have learning disabilities, and I found their writing improving more with IEW than with other programs.   (My son did love CAP W&R, and he also loved the progym program from MP.   I just needed him to practice some other types of writing too.)

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, nwahomeschoolmom said:

I thought that you could participate in CC without using their curriculum, or is that only at the Foundations level?  We were planning to join next year for the social/routine of it, but I plan to keep using all the curriculum I am already using.

Yes, this is true for Foundations. Once your student moves into Essentials (4th grade) your curriculum for writing and grammar comes from CC and then when your student reaches Challenge level (usually 7th grade-but I have my 12 year old 6th grader in it), CC dictates the entire curriculum. Older levels have some freedom to opt out of a strand or two- but not Challenge A or B students. HTH

On 1/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, mom2kando said:

I like memoria press because it seems thorough, I like the classical studies it offers, and... if I'm being completely honest I like the price for the full grade curriculum (I'd sell what we won't use)

Just so you know, MP will customize a package for you so that you don't have to buy the full core and sell things off. I am not sure how many subjects you can opt out of and still get the package discount, but it's worth a call or email; they have great customer service.

• Like 1