Menu

Logic of English game book

lulalu

We are using Phonics Pathways for phonics instruction along with ETC. We are liking this combination. 

But we love games. So I am wondering if the LOE game book can be used if you are not doing the full program. And also wondering if the game book is fun and worth the money. 

We used to have the game book when I had Essentials 1st edition.  It was a fun way to practice with the kids. It wasn’t thrilling, but it was better than drill or more worksheets.  I sold 1st edition 4 years ago and then recently bought the Foundations, in which the game instructions are integrated into teacher book.  We are doing an accelerated pass through foundations and haven’t found the games as helpful for that reason (much of Foundations is already review), but my dd still enjoys them do you play them once in a while.

Would I just buy game book and cards? Well, if my child needed more practice then yes!  Seeing as PP and ETC both provide practice (and PP has some games) I don’t know that you would find it added a lot. 

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1

We don't use LOE as a main program, but I do own LOE's game book & a couple sets of their phonogram game cards (green cursive & blue bookface?). I loved phonogram bingo (easy to make yourself, especially if you don't use LOE's phonograms) in the early years and some of the easier games in the book. The boys love playing Dragon, Slap, Rotten Egg, and one or two others even now. I use them when we need to just rest/review from our normal routine (Spell to Write & Read).

I don't know what the book cost nowadays (looked it up - $12 PDF or $15 soft cover from the LOE website), but it would definitely depend on your budget concerns & how many more kids you have to use it with. We definitely don't use most of the games. I got it when I still had two kids to use it (from the beginning) with. That made it worth it to me.

• Like 1

I have ideas for games in this making phonics fun video:

The cards from Don Potter that can make a lot of games are here:

http://donpotter.net/pdf/blend_phonics_spelling.pdf

My nonsense word game here:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Free to print games from Mona McNee's CAT phonics, click on each lesson to get to games and worksheets.

http://www.phonics4free.org/mona-mcnee-biog

• Like 3