Menu

Has Anyone Used Hunter's Rainbow Curriculum?

alexandramarie

I have been looking at this for a while now.  I have gone between LCC and Charlotte Mason, but I keep coming back to the simplicity of the Rainbow Curriculum.  I am adding baby number 6 this summer!  I will have 6 kids 9 and under.  My oldest two read well.  I would love to hear your experience with the curriculum.

• Like 1

I haven't used it, but I would have no reservations about recommending it--especially in your situation.  Sounds like it would be something that could consistently get done. 

And in my opinion, any curriculum that can get consistently done (with kids understanding and without Mom going crazy) is a good one.  

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I haven't used it, but I would no reservations about recommending it--especially in your situation.  Sounds like it would be something that could consistently get done. 

And in my opinion, any curriculum that can get consistently done (with kids understanding and without Mom going crazy) is a good one.  

THank you for getting back to me and for the encouragement!  I feel like studying Charlotte Mason for so long I could easily implement it. I wouldn't have to spend a lot of money.  We already sing hymns as a family and do Hoffman Academy for piano.  I could still keep a picture study and composer study (they each only take ten minutes a week).  We could continue our nature journaling.  I like just being able to see everything at a glance and not have to guess on books.  I like slow reading and her history cycle.  I have to teach my five year old who I think is dyslexic to read next year (so I really want to focus on that instead of curriculum).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alexandramarie said:

THank you for getting back to me and for the encouragement!  I feel like studying Charlotte Mason for so long I could easily implement it. I wouldn't have to spend a lot of money.  We already sing hymns as a family and do Hoffman Academy for piano.  I could still keep a picture study and composer study (they each only take ten minutes a week).  We could continue our nature journaling.  I like just being able to see everything at a glance and not have to guess on books.  I like slow reading and her history cycle.  I have to teach my five year old who I think is dyslexic to read next year (so I really want to focus on that instead of curriculum).

Sounds like a very good plan to me!  Seeing the big picture does make it easier to substitute things if you need to, and you can't beat the price.  🙂  Hunter really did put a lot of thought into the gentle layering of her choices. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well anyways.  This is a delayed response, but I think I am going to go forward full force with the rainbow curriculum.  I also found her D.E.A.R. suggestions sheet which I love (it even includes life skills).  I do not want to tweak it much.  I am tired of decision fatigue. The only things I am adding are Hoffman Academy, Memoria Press Phonics and spelling for k-2 (because I love it and have it), and I think Math Mammoth to make my life easier considering I have 5 kids with 6 on the way, and possibly try the visits to series from Simply Charlotte Mason for mapping.  I read all of Ella Frances Lynche's book over break and loved it; it was a breath of fresh air.  I may purchase A Child's History of the World, Our Island Story, and This Country of Ours. I am at the point I want a family culture of books; books that our family reads and knows and loves. We have read about half of the book up to the orange level in the past, and I love all the ones she has suggested.  My husband did the Christian and CLassical masters program at knox and had read most of the upper school books and really likes her decisions.  My house cleaning routine is on auto pilot, my grocery shopping and meal planning is on auto pilot, now I want to put my homeschool on auto pilot. We did the ALveary this year, this was our second time doing it( I did it two years ago).  I have realized as much as I love Charlotte Mason the short lessons and strict schedule is actually too ADD for me and also knowing the books will switch every year overwhelms me.   Sorry for my ramble; maybe no one will read it.   

• Like 3

We currently have a pretty good rhythm.. We eat breakfast at 7:30 (everybody has to be dressed for the day).  My husband does the catechism with us, we recite scripture and sing a hymn.  We clean up, get the baby dressed.  I  am thinking 3Rs and some independent reading from 8:30-11 (kids will get some breaks while I work with other kids).  11-12:30 Lunch and mandatory outdoor play unless its pouring or below freezing.  ( I get my little 1, 3, and 5 year old  quiet or sleeping for at least an hour of this )12:30-2:30 piano, journaling, reading, narrating, singing.  2:30 Snack, poetry and current event.  Clean up. 3:30-4:30 mandatory outdoor time again including me.  I do so much better when I get outside.  4:30-6:00 Chores, dinner prep, showers, free play, nature journal entry if not yet done.  6 dinner.  7:30 family read aloud.  8:00 everyone to their rooms (if they can't sleep they read).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@alexandramarie I am also in the middle of our 2nd yr of Alveary and thinking of switching to Rainbow curriculum, that's so funny. We did LCC years ago too. Our first year of Alveary was perfect, but this year has been crazy... my head is spinning every day. Some subjects for us became much more teacher intensive this year. BUT I also don't feel up to totally switching gears either. I will probably end up keeping just some of our Alveary subjects and dropping a bunch of others, then maybe next year it'll look more like Rainbow.

Years ago we also did Robinson curriculum, which was great for my oldest kids. My current batch though does need more help from me, plus some CM practices I do want to keep.

Edited by Jenn in CA
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, alexandramarie said:

I am thinking of following LCC in the idea of one area of study focus for each day a week... ex: Geography, Literature, History, Nature/ Science

I do this kind of subject rotation (3 R's in the morning, then ONE content subject in the afternoon) for my K-6th kids and it works very well to keep things a little more manageable.

• Like 1