Menu

Liver Cancer - any experience?

YaelAldrich

Since my sister died almost two years ago from breast cancer (at age 38), I've been spending much more time with my father who has recurrent prostate cancer (that thank G-d has been mostly held back by hormone blockers) and mother who was pretty healthy.  Just found out two weeks ago that she has some tumors in her liver.  Flew down for the post MRI appointment.  They are still not sure which type of cancer it is. They will do a biopsy this week I hope. They know they cannot do surgery because of the size and placement of the tumors for now.  They are recommending chemo to shrink them and to hopefully boost the size of the less affected lobe so they can possibly do surgery at some point.  Anyone here have any experience with liver cancers and what I/we might be in for?  I'm trying to stay strong but with the knowledge I'll likely lose all my natal family sooner than later is throwing for a real loop.

• Sad 6

I’m not an expert on this, but I know that liver cancer was a big concern when my dh was waiting for his transplant, and the doctors said if he got any tumors, the cancer would be very treatable. They also told us that if the cancer originated in the liver, it would make it easier to not only treat the cancer, but for him to get a transplant more quickly as well.

Anyway, the doctors made a point of telling us that the cancer would be something they could treat, so hopefully that will be the case with your mom, too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'm so sorry. Hugs and prayers for you and your family. 

My grandfather had liver cancer and I also worked in Oncology trials in genomics for the last several years of my career-- although that was 7+ years ago, so I'm sure treatments have continued to improve.  In your situation, my first question to the doctors would be has it metastasized? That is probably one of the bigger factors as far as prognosis and survival rates at the five year mark. 

No, it hasn't metastasized as far as they can see from the thorax and abdominal MRIs from last week.  There are a couple of medium sizes spots on the right node and one small one on the left lobe.  But nothing in the lymph nodes or other parts of the body.  I saw the five year survival rates aren't all that great in her case.  Sigh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

How old is she, Yael?

Could she qualify for a liver transplant? 

She's 58 and other than some pre-diabetes and needing a little thyroid medicine, healthy as a horse.  She swims over a hour a day, walks around 30 minutes a day and eats well.

I don't know, but it is one of the questions I want to pose to the next doctor.  I doubt I can donate as I too have chronic Hep B and my little sister died two years ago.  But maybe one of her relatives in Korea??

48 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

The survival rates are not great overall for liver metastasis, if we're being honest. BUT. The fact that it hasn't metastasized is GOOD. Very good. And you need to focus on the good. Do not underestimate the power of faith and prayer either. 

Hopefully this isn't tmi or overstepping, but I spent my entire career, and honestly even back into my university and after education putting a ridiculous amount of "faith" in science. The further I got in my career and the older I've gotten the more faith I put in God and the less faith I put in Science and Medicine. Do not let the statistics online or the odds you're reading diminish your faith and your hope. Yes, be realistic- and by realistic I mean, read. Educate. Seek opinions. Seek second opinions. Be realistic on outcomes and what treatments make sense or are beneficial. But keep your faith while doing that. Keep your hope. Keep your prayers. That will do as much for you and your Mother as the doctors will. I hope you do not mind me saying that. But after close to 20 years in Pharma trials and research, that's where I landed. 

I will pray for you and your Mom. I do think the fact that is hasn't metastasized is great news. Take it. Concentrate on the percent that is the positive percent. Those are real, living patients making up that part of the survival rate. Believe that it will be you Mom in that percentage. That's what you do. And you put one foot in front of the other right now, because you're still finding everything out, type, prognosis, and everything else,  and that's the best you can do. 

(((Hugs)))

Thank you.  We've got prayers going up on both sides of the aisle so to speak (my natal family is Christian; I converted to Judaism). 😄

I pray with all my heart that she will survive and thrive. She doesn't want to suffer like she watched my sister after the wonder drugs stopped working.  After all of us walking along my sister with her Stage 4 BC while my father started his battle with prostate cancer (that still continues), we're all blindsided by my mother having cancer out of the blue.