Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW51: December Equinox

Robin M

Thanks for the definition of sip read. That is what I plan on doing with my dusty and chunky for the year. It's a two volume book and my plan is to read a bit at a time. I need to plan it out so I have an idea of how much I need to read each week.-

Quill - I don't have any books I have started but DS has the final book in a series by Orson Scott Card that I could read. The problem is it's been so long since I've read the first few books, I have no idea what is going on. I need time to browse through the first ones again to get back up to speed and then jump into the final book. Actually, now that I think about it, there are a few series for which I need to read the latest or last book in the series. I read the Mrs. Peregrine series this summer and there is a new one of those out. I should run to the library and see if it has a copy.

Violet Crown - I have a book of Dickens' Christmas writings, Cricket is in it. I usually read one or two of his stories during the holidays. I haven't done it this year. I should take it off the shelf.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Robin M said:

The way I understand it, is that its basically like taking small sips of water, reading a little bit at time. For me it would be reading multiple nonfiction books, taking a sip here and there until it's finished.  Does that make any sense?  More for essays, inspirational, poetry, things like that.  @tuesdayschild could give you a better idea.  

That's it.  I sip read certain books because I want to savour and reflect on the content, as opposed to gulping it down.  Others become sip reads because I want to read them but they require more effort, are a more laborious read to get through, but I want to have read them at least once.

5 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Thanks for the definition of sip read. That is what I plan on doing with my dusty and chunky for the year. It's a two volume book and my plan is to read a bit at a time. I need to plan it out so I have an idea of how much I need to read each week.-

This is  what I started out doing with the two volumes of letters sent between Robert Browning & Elizabeth Barrett Browning (I think I needed a plan, like you've mentioned here, as it took me years ....  but I just stuck at and little by little I got there).

Edited by tuesdayschild
add link
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

That's it.  I sip read certain books because I want to savour and reflect on the content, as opposed to gulping it down.  Others become sip reads because I want to read them but they require more effort, are a more laborious read to get through, but I want to have read them at least once.

I have a Goodreads shelf I call Long Term Reads. It's mainly for books that fit the bolded above. 

I finished three books recently - 

--Shakespeare's Henry VIII- Even though I went off schedule I continued to read here and there from the Shakespeare in a Year plan. There's one more for this year, Two Noble Kinsmen, but I decided to be done with the challenge for the year. I might read a few more sonnets or might not. The schedule usually has you reading a couple of sonnets each on Sat, and. Sun. or a poem on Sat. and a few sonnets on Sun. I'm not going to start a new poem but if I read more sonnets I won't just do it on the two weekends we have left. Also, rather than use the 2019 schedule (if the blogger updates for next year) I plan to go through and create my own plan for the plays and poems I missed this year. I'll use the schedule as a guide for how much to read each day. 

--Poison in Paddington - A cozy mystery and the first in a series. I picked up the free Kindle version at some point and wanted something light to read. It reminded me however, of why I rarely read cozies anymore. It wasn't awful and in fact was a fairly decent mystery but I don't have any plans to read the rest of the series. One thing that I found mildly annoying was the author's use of current brand names and technology. She went to Chipotle and McDonald's several times and used her iPad and checked Trip Advisor and Googled information. Nothing dates a book faster than trying to make it sound current. Sure those things sound like they'll always be around but at one time so did AOL, Yahoo, Netscape, and the music player called a Zune. 🙂 

--The Library Book - I loved this book and am glad I listened to the audio edition narrated by the author. At the beginning of each chapter there's a list of books with their Dewey Decimal number, usually related to the topic of the chapter. That part might have been better to read than hear but it didn't take away anything from the rest of the book. My Goodreads review.

I'm still working through The Heir Apparent: A Life of Edward VII, The Playboy Prince, To Marry an English Lord, which compliments the previous book, The Pale Horseman (the Saxon Stories #2), and the audio edition of The House of Mirth. I added Liane Moriarty's The Husband's Secret to that list because I felt the need for a can't-put-it-down book and none of the other books, not even The Pale Horseman*, have me dying to know what comes next. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying them. They're just easy to put down and I wanted one that makes me want to keep reading until I absolutely have to stop.

*Probably because in the Netflix series I'm past the events of this book.

• Like 5

I'm enjoying a quiet morning and planning some reading for 2019. I'm not as ambitious as some of you ladies with the 10X10 challenge but I did dedicate a 4 page spread in my bullet journal to my dusty and chunky read, Charles Dickens His Tragedy and Triumph A Biography by Edgar Johnson. It's an 1160 page two volume set my DH (then boyfriend) gave me as a gift when I was much younger. I have used it as a resource when reading Dickens (or, most recently, Wilkie Collins) but have never read it all the way through. I'm happy with my BuJo layout and am ready to get going on reading.

My first read for the year will be the Mother-Daughter Book Club selection I bought for me and my mom, The Shell Seekers.

I would also like to read another Dickens book in 2019. I have a bookshelf full of them, some of them beautifully illustrated, and I think I'll pull one out and read it. I know it will not be ATOTC, as I have read that multiple times and begin weeping in the opening paragraph. My heart aches for Sydney (which will be the name of my next dog).

• Like 7

Robin, I will post my Bingo list on next week's thread, along with an update on my 10 categories.

Since there is some interest in Mary Wollstonecraft, I will recommend the edition that I read for Letters written in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. It was the Oxford World's Classics edition. I spent a lot of time picking my edition 🙂 It has a good intro to the book, and a nice chronology of her life. The appendices include the relevant business letters, her private letters to Imlay, a relevant excerpt from Godwin's memoirs of MW, and contemporary reviews of the Letters written in -.

My sip read for 2019 is going to be On Politics: A History of Political Thought from Herodotus to the Present by Alan Ryan. I had planned it for 2018 but it didn't happen. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1