Menu

Last minute Universal Studios tips

JustEm

We are leaving for Orlando tomorrow night and will be there for 5 days. We're staying at Universal's Cabana Bay hotel and we'll be in the park 3 of those days.

I've never been but have researched a bunch. So, does anyone have any tips, must does, etc for me? Also, what am I forgetting to pack? Come on, we all know I'm the last one to know what I've forgotten:-P

We really enjoyed our meal at Mythos. Despite what everyone said about the various Harry Potter eateries, we found them disappointing. Or, at least, not anything that couldn't be skipped, though obviously getting various butterbeers is a must.

I always forget a hairbrush.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

We really enjoyed our meal at Mythos. Despite what everyone said about the various Harry Potter eateries, we found them disappointing. Or, at least, not anything that couldn't be skipped, though obviously getting various butterbeers is a must.

Oh my gosh!  I love the Harry Potter eating places.  I even like the food!  But I really love the atmosphere.  It is well worth it IMO.

Do you get front of the line with staying on property?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

Oh my gosh!  I love the Harry Potter eating places.  I even like the food!  But I really love the atmosphere.  It is well worth it IMO.

Yeah, I seem to be in the minority... the food was fine. Reasonably priced even, but far from anything special. The theming was just okay to me. They were both fast foodish. I think they probably should have gone all in and made a really fancy Be Our Guest level dining experience because you know people (me included probably) would spring for it. Instead it was like Boston Market with some mild theme elements, IMHO.

This is not a knock on the place in general though. Diagon Alley genuinely blew me away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Huh, I didn't think that at all.

Here is the menu for the Leaky Cauldron, which is my favorite.

Leaky Cauldron Lunch And Dinner Menu And Prices

For lunch and dinner, Leaky Cauldron serves the kind of menu items that you might find in a British pub. The average meal price is $12 to $14. The Ploughman's Platter, which costs a little more and is advertised as serving two, is best for sharing. Lunch and dinner entrees on the Leaky Cauldron menu include:  I put the meals I have tried in bold.

• Soup and Salad: $9.49
  • Toad in the Hole: $9.49
  • Banger Pub Style Sandwich (with wedge fries): $12.49
  • Specialty Chicken Sandwich (with wedge fries): $11.99
  • Fish & Chips: $13.99
  • Bangers & Mash: $12.49
  • Beef, Lamb & Guinness Stew: $13.49
  • Cottage Pie: $12.49
  • Fisherman's Pie: $14.99
  • Mini Pie Combination: $13.49
  • Ploughman's Platter (scotch egg, cheese, bread, cornichon pickles, apple beet salad): $19.99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

Yes! we used to have annual passes and Mythos was our favorite. it's a real sit down place with really yummy food. Make a reservation when you get there though. 

On men in black, as you get to the big "bug" and Will Smith is talking, listen to your gun. It will tell you when to press the red button for a 100,000 point bonus 🙂

If it is hot there is a water/splash area for littles in the Seuss area. 

Make time to watch the Grinch show. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

Dh has been to Universal before and he really like Mythos so I'm sure we'll be eating there one day.  Butterbeer is obviously a must!

And funny thing, a hairbrush was one of the things I hadn't packed, thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

No we do not get front of the line passes staying at this hotel.  It considered this greatly but decided the cost difference wasn't worth it since we'll be there on weekdays and for 3 days.  Had we just done 1 or 2 days we probably would have gotten the fast pass.

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

Huh, I didn't think that at all.

Here is the menu for the Leaky Cauldron, which is my favorite.

Leaky Cauldron Lunch And Dinner Menu And Prices

For lunch and dinner, Leaky Cauldron serves the kind of menu items that you might find in a British pub. The average meal price is $12 to $14. The Ploughman's Platter, which costs a little more and is advertised as serving two, is best for sharing. Lunch and dinner entrees on the Leaky Cauldron menu include:  I put the meals I have tried in bold.

• Soup and Salad: $9.49
  • Toad in the Hole: $9.49
  • Banger Pub Style Sandwich (with wedge fries): $12.49
  • Specialty Chicken Sandwich (with wedge fries): $11.99
  • Fish & Chips: $13.99
  • Bangers & Mash: $12.49
  • Beef, Lamb & Guinness Stew: $13.49
  • Cottage Pie: $12.49
  • Fisherman's Pie: $14.99
  • Mini Pie Combination: $13.49
  • Ploughman's Platter (scotch egg, cheese, bread, cornichon pickles, apple beet salad): $19.99

Oh, some of those sound yummy!

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes! we used to have annual passes and Mythos was our favorite. it's a real sit down place with really yummy food. Make a reservation when you get there though. 

On men in black, as you get to the big "bug" and Will Smith is talking, listen to your gun. It will tell you when to press the red button for a 100,000 point bonus 🙂

If it is hot there is a water/splash area for littles in the Seuss area. 

Make time to watch the Grinch show. 

Thanks for the tips.  We certainly won't miss the Grinch show

10 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

We stayed at Cabana Bay this summer, and it was the most amazing vacation ever...I hope you have a wonderful time!

thank you

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

No we do not get front of the line passes staying at this hotel.  It considered this greatly but decided the cost difference wasn't worth it since we'll be there on weekdays and for 3 days.  Had we just done 1 or 2 days we probably would have gotten the fast pass.

Ok, given that info, here is a tip.  We used single rider on every ride that allowed it.  It saved HOURS.  We could wait in line together, but we weren't guaranteed to ride the actual ride together.  I believe the min. age for single rider is 7, but I would need to double check.    One year the Forbidden Journey ride was 90-100 minutes and we did single rider and rode it 4 times in less than 90 minutes.

Another tip?  Snack during regular meal times and eat larger meals during off-times when it is crowded.  We would eat breakfast before going, take snacks along, and then have a late lunch around 2 or 3.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1