Menu

Science for 4th Grade

mrsfellman

Good afternoon. Our family has had a few changes this school year and we are moving back into a 100% homeschooling environment. We started the year at our, then local, Christian Private School, where they were using Abeka and BJU for different subjects/grades. My oldest son is in 4th grade, 2nd son is in 1st grade and my youngest son was in Pre-K (he's 4.5 yrs old). When we moved down into the major city closest to us we decided to try Connections Academy (Oklahoma) because it was free and so maybe I wouldn't have as much planning on my hands during the move and selling of our old house. After giving it a 2 month try we realized all the things we were trying to "grin and bare" where not worth it and so we are making that final transition back to home-schooling. I have already home-schooled DS1 for 2nd grade and I know most of the curriculum I'd like to use with the boys. Math - Singapore & adding Beast Academy for ODS, L.A - MCT, Spelling Work out for DS1 & DS2. What I am searching for is a Science Curriculum for DS1 in 4th Grade that the younger boys can "do" along with him and glean what-ever they can from it without having their "own" science courses. I have had a suggestions to look at the science options from Royal Fireworks Press but I'd love some more suggestions or impute on other choices available.

Thanks,

Sarah

Do you have a subject you would like to study? Are you looking for workbooks? Projects? Lit based? 

IIRC I did McHenry's Elements with ds at that age, I can't remember besides that. I did unit studies with dd1. For dd2's year next year I'm planning on MP's Mammals heavily supplemented w/ books, movies, and some projects.

2 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

Are you looking for secular or Christian? I've had success with both Mr Q (secular) and Science in the Beginning (Christian) at those ages.

I would say I'm not strongly looking for Christian based but would lean towards Christian based to a degree if it's a good science text. We are a Christian faith family but we also can handle the discussions that come from other points of view. I just can't stand when evolution/big bag theory is taught as a fact and not as the theory it really is.

My boys LOVE the Kratt Brother's show Wild Kratts and have learned more from watching them than anything the Connections Academy Science tried to teach them these last couple of months. I'm really open to any jumping off point. With the younger two I feel like they don't need anything more "formal" but with the 4th grader I feel like I need to make it a formal subject and he also LOVES science. He did BJU Science at our school for 3rd grade and the portion of 4th grade that he attended.

17 hours ago, soror said:

Do you have a subject you would like to study? Are you looking for workbooks? Projects? Lit based? 

IIRC I did McHenry's Elements with ds at that age, I can't remember besides that. I did unit studies with dd1. For dd2's year next year I'm planning on MP's Mammals heavily supplemented w/ books, movies, and some projects.

We don't have a particular subject at this time although I'm up to talking it over with DS1 and seeing if he has some impute on the subject. I would probably lean more towards projects and good Literature over workbooks. My boys don't do well with busy seat work and both school aged boys hate to write.  

Edited by mrsfellman

19 hours ago, mrsfellman said:

We don't have a particular subject at this time although I'm up to talking it over with DS1 and seeing if he has some impute on the subject. I would probably lean more towards projects and good Literature over workbooks. My boys don't do well with busy seat work and both school aged boys hate to write.  

I've mostly thrown together my own studies. Build Your Library has a Unit Study on Sharks, we've used and enjoyed some of her other Unit Studies. Moving Beyond the Page is another unit study lit-based option as well that you might to look at, I've not tried that but they get good reviews. 

Edited by soror