Menu

Extended Family Forgetting Kids' Birthdays Vent

jccmgla

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

Maybe it's the case that the grandparent *can* afford the stamp, but chooses not to budget for it because it's "only" the grandkids. 

Maybe, but it sounds like they did it for quite a while. Either way, I'd still spring for the $10 book of 20 stamps, lol. 

It's likely that the grandparent actually could afford the $2.50 in stamps for the five cards, but it's not uncommon for older people to develop some irrational concerns about money, or develop some odd frugalities. I've seen it so often that it doesn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

I had a grandmother who only sent me a few birthday cards over the years. While going through an old memory box, I was reading them before recycling and noticed that every single one said something like, "Grandma can't get you anything or send anything because I'm so old (or sick) and don't have the energy." I realized for the first time that when grandma sent those cards she probably was in her early 40's and was always one of the healthiest women around. It wasn't a finacial thing either!😂

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, katilac said:

Maybe, but it sounds like they did it for quite a while. Either way, I'd still spring for the $10 book of 20 stamps, lol. 

It's likely that the grandparent actually could afford the $2.50 in stamps for the five cards, but it's not uncommon for older people to develop some irrational concerns about money, or develop some odd frugalities. I've seen it so often that it doesn't surprise me. 

It seems more likely to me that the card would be out of the budget, though I agree about odd frugalities.

Seems like a box of assorted occasion cards, or even plain notecards/other stationery items, and stamps for grandparents who like to send cards would be a great gift.  Unless, of course, the gp is using budget restrictions as an excuse because they are tired of sending cards.   I know some grandparents who have stopped sending cards/gifts because it was always a one-way street; they never received any sort of acknowledgement back.