Menu

All About Spelling or Spelling You See

RoseS8

I think you can download a sample week of SYS, but I think there are other programs out there for dyslexics.  I know I wouldn't do AAS, though.  It is very heavy rule based, but it does not promote more than using letter/phoneme tiles.  I think SYS would be better in that they start off with boxes that are specific letter shaped (tall, short, below the line) to form the words.

All About Spelling for a dyslexic. Definitely. It's OG based, which is considered the gold standard for dyslexia. Unless you have some additional information from a neuropsych or educational therapist that indicates a specific reason why OG would not be the best fit for your particular dyslexics, I'd recommend AAS.

• Like 1

Yes, I absolutely agree with AAS.  SYS is not likely to be a good fit for a dyslexic who needs systematic teaching.  As mentioned, AAS is a spelling program - if you want handwriting, etc, you'd have to add that in.  It does teach using letter tiles (we often don't use them, as my kids don't need them, and we much prefer the app).  There is also writing of sounds, spelling on paper, dictation and other elements.  We've found it to be a very well rounded spelling program.  We've been able to slow down/speed up as needed and have also adapted for a more natural speller.  It is a rule based program, but we did not insist on memorization of the rules before moving on.  Our oldest has slower recall, so she still isn't great at reciting the rules, but she has definitely internalized them after using them level after level with AAS and I can use them to trigger her memory when needed.  Very happy with AAS. ?

• Like 1

We struggled with AAS thru the 5th level...SYS wasn't available yet. SYS did as the rules did not stick no matter how much he tried...but what the words LOOKED like was they key. So the best thing is to try which ever you wish...and yes, SYS works with phonics in the beginning which i wish we had been able to use but were beyond at that point and then IF the rules are not working...try SYS or vis versa...if the way it looks doesn't work try AAS.   Marne