Menu

ancestry match

gardenmom5

I have the weirdest match ever . . . it's a 4-6gen.

for starters - she's in austraila,  that's merely interesting.

However: . . . . . . the ONLY two people we have in common, are my brother's children.  that's it.

given one name in her line, I thought it might be possible she might be collateral off of my line with the same surname, which would fit the 4 -6 gen, (and it's a v.e.r.y. messy line.) - but, I have several people who are also related on that line, and broke off before the "mess", (which is how I know we're looking in the right place, - even if it's a huge mess.).  none of them are a match with her.

It's always interesting, isn't it?  

Those sites can only match you with relatives who also have sent their dna to the same site.  So, it makes sense that maybe two people in one family have done it, and no one else.  

Can you get ahold of her?  Do you want to?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Junie said:

I would think that if the only common match is your brother's children -- but not your brother -- then this match would likely be through your sister-in-law.

how would I match my sister-in-law?   we have no genes in common.

44 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

No, I would think you have genes in common with your nieces and nephews through your brother but why would your brother not show up assuming he has done a DNA test? OR SIL is in fact somehow - if remotely - genetically related to you?

Edited by Liz CA

1 minute ago, Liz CA said:

No, I would think you have genes in common with your nieces and nephews through your brother but why would your brother not show up assuming he has done a DNA test?

my brother hasn't done a dna test.   (and won't - men in black helicopters you know.)

I always look at shared matches as it helps me narrow down where the relationship is.   (I have two lines which prompted me to test, and those are the ones I'm focusing on.)

this is a 4 - 6 gen match.  iow: 1800s.  based on one surname in her tree which I've since learned is also in mine. . . i am assuming that is where the connection is.  however, I have a   other matches with that surname in their line  (which is how I know that surname really is in my background. . . and boy is it ever  a mess.), both from before and after the ubermess.   if even one of those other matches showed up as a common match - I'd be certain that was the connection.  but none of them did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think I didn't get enough sleep.  (I hate the fall time change.)

When I was looking at this earlier, this was my thought:

Your nieces/nephews are the only (known) people who are related by blood to both you and your sister-in-law.

Also, you have no genes in common that you know of.

45 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think I didn't get enough sleep.  (I hate the fall time change.)

When I was looking at this earlier, this was my thought:

Your nieces/nephews are the only (known) people who are related by blood to both you and your sister-in-law.

Also, you have no genes in common that you know of.

If I had any genetic relationship within the last six generations with my xsil - it would have shown up with other people.   it hasn't.   I have very few holes in my tree in the last six generations. 

• Like 1