Menu

Pre-Algebra with a Mild Intellectual Disability

My daughter, 16.5 yo, 10th grade, is finishing up Math U See Zeta (decimals) and is struggling big time. MUS worked beautifully for her from Gamma through the first half of Zeta. But now she's struggling with the concept of decimals. She keeps making illogical mistakes and is struggling to understand the more complicated stuff (multiplying, dividing, solving for the unknown, area of a triangle, etc). She doesn't understand equations...that the letter represents a number we don't know. My other kids love this concept, they think it's fun to figure out the "mystery" number "hiding' behind the letter. Oh well! Also, the place value of decimals is really eluding her in spite of all the hands-on manipulatives and explanation from both myself and her tutor and the MUS program videos. 

In any case, I had planned for her to use MUS through Algebra. I knew Algebra would be a bit of a stretch, but doing it in her Junior/Senior year with lots of help I figured we could make it work and then she'd be eligible for a regular diploma from Seton Homestudy. Unfortunately, if she's struggling this much with Zeta I'm afraid Pre-Algebra might be where she tops out. 

I really just need something good enough for basic high school credit so she can pass and move on to consumer math. We've already gone back to the start and remediated with her...I'm not planning to do anymore intense remediation as our big goal now is to let her move on with life and get to working in a culinary job or hair salon. For that she just needs a high school diploma ? 

Does anyone have recommendations for Pre-Algebra/Algebra curriculums that are more approachable/basic? 

39 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Have you looked at the Walch Powerbasics?

Oh my goodness, I had looked at them ages ago but it wasn't the right choice at the time for what we needed. However, looking at their Algebra text it actually looks like something DD16 could do next year. Thank you so much for reminding me! I'm going to check out their Basic Mathematics curriculum as a Pre-Algebra option too. Have you used their curriculums before? 

I used the PowerBasics govt with my dd, if I recall correctly. I have some of the books for the world history also that I picked up at some point. What I liked about them was the creative, thoughtful projects in the student workbook. There are other publishers who do that type of materials, so I'm definitely not saying that one over another, more just reminding you the genre exists. :)  What I liked about the math, when I looked at that sample, was the clarity of the language. My ds doesn't have ID, but he does have ASD and associated language disabilities, and I could see that type of clear, says what it means, kind of presentation really working. And I think when you're using something that says it is meant to stand as algebra 1 in a school setting for that audience, there you go, meets your need. You just want to get through something and say you did it in a legit way that gets her a diploma. I used MUS the 3rd time around for algebra 1 with my dd. Yes, Francis, you read that correctly, she did it 3 times iirc. It just wasn't sticking. But I don't know your dd to know whether that's a good fit and you already knew MUS existed, lol. In her case (just her, very ADHD), she says part of it was she needed to learn how to learn. She got over that hurdle using MUS. You can have some side goals like that in whatever you pick, like some life skills or self-advocacy skills (asking for help) or some scheduling and self-motivation skills or whatever is appropriate.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...