Menu

Etiquette and Adulting

I would love some resources to teach etiquette and basic “adulting” skills. 

When I graduated I felt like I was really lacking knowledge in several areas. I’m hoping to help my kids do a better in those things. But I know I will probably forget quite a few skills and topics  

Do you have any great resources for teaching etiquette or any worthwhile books on skills teens should have before graduating high school and launching out on their own? 

Has anyone made a list of skills and topics they want to cover with their kids before graduation? 

Two books I found helpful (the manners book we did in late elementary grades, but *I* learned some things, like who to tip and how much!):

Manners Matter: Living the Golden Rule for Kids of All Ages (Hermine Hartley)
• introductions and greetings
• presenting yourself
• table manners
• restaurant manners
• appropriate gender relations
• appropriate conversations
• telephone manners
• family manners
• people manners and sportsmanship
• guest manners and gratitude
• community manners
• travel manners
• tips and gratuity
• business community/work manners

Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World (Christine Fields) 
• taking responsibility  (attitude, competence, perseverance, consequences)
• people skills  (get along, manners/etiquette, communication, conflict resolution)
• home skills  (shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning)
• life navigation  (personal info, transportation, emergencies, computer safety)
• time and space management/organizational skills
• basic home and auto maintenance/repair
• money management
• health/personal grooming habits
• mental health/habits; learning style
• spiritual habits  (worldview, beliefs, worship, prayer, service, church history)
• decision making  (choices, prioritizing, problem-solving, ethics)
• fostering creativity  (pursue passion, develop hobbies, exposure to the arts)
• remembering to celebrate (thankful attitude, make memories and traditions)

ETA - PS:
With teens who are close to getting involved in a relationship or moving toward college/adult parties and social functions, no matter how moral or responsible, even if there is no chance of your teen making poor choices, you'll still likely want to have some discussions about s*xual relations and s*xual health, alcohol use, being careful to never let your drink out of your hand so that it is spiked or roofie-ed, not being alone with someone where you can be either accused wrongfully or be taken advantage of, mental health (both awareness of one's own and how to foster good mental health, but also what to look for and possible ways of approaching/supporting a friend or partner who is spiraling down), and other not-fun topics of being a responsible, safe adult.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 2:39 PM, texasmom33 said:

- Bank safety. Jugging is a huge thing here

I had to look this term up. I didn't realize it was so mainstream. (Small town girl here)

I'm not sure I know how to do all the things on your list, so maybe I could come & sit in on your lessons?

My goal is to teach by modeling how to look up how to do things when I need to do them. So, I have no idea how to clone a hard drive and replace it, but I read up on it and figured it out with only a few tense moments when the computer wouldn't boot back up. Or, my weekly, "I don't know how to cook that" challenge, so I watch some YouTube videos, read some blogs, and then go for it.

I figure there are always things you won't know how to do, so I'm modeling how I figure it out. The latest is the gear & sprocket breaking on the garage door opener. Found the right model number, the owner's manual (online) and ordered a lot to replace them. YouTube is your friend. (Hoping for warm enough weather!)

I think there was a thread on the high school board that is in the Motherload post that talks about things to teach your kid. Changing tires, checking oil. How to sew a patch on or fix a small hole in a shirt....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I think there was a thread on the high school board that is in the Motherload post that talks about things to teach your kid...

Page 5 of the College Board "motherlode" thread has links to these 2 past threads:

Before sending students off to college (things to do) — Jan 24 2014, Regentrude
Getting them ready to leave home — April 11 2017, kroe1

• Thanks 1