Menu

Reminder if you have a student taking online classes...

G5052

This was a new one to me.

Be sure to tell them that they don't have to do all of the work on the day of a deadline.

I have a student who is taking his first online course in my field (web design), and he consistently had incomplete/missing work and was always begging for more time, which I don't give unless it's some system-wide issue (like weather, network outages, etc.). 

So I finally emailed him to see why he always said he was in my "Saturday class" and why he always turned in all of his assignments on Saturday. I emailed that he should work all week and turn in assignments as he finishes them at any time.

He thought that he had to do ALL of the work on the due date and was not allowed to work on it any other day.

One of mine takes mostly online classes and does have a focus class each day that she spends more time on, but she does a little on each class every day to keep momentum. And she plans to have her submissions ready well before the deadline.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Danae said:

That poor kid. He must have been going crazy trying to do a week's worth of assignment all at once. I'm glad you reached out to him and figured out what the problem was.

Sometimes I'm truly in the dark as to why they aren't doing well, but my gut caught that one. He was very happy to hear that he had seven days to work instead of one!

• Like 2

My dh teaches online physics classes. One student was missing the graphs on a lab and lost points. The student emailed dh and told him that his scanner was broken so he sent the labs via USPS. 

Dh has no idea where they were sent. He is an adjunct and never goes to the physical school. He has no mailbox. Dh is figuring the student just mailed it to his name and the street address of the school?!!? 

That one came up today. Tell your online students not to mail assignments to the professor without checking with him/her. Dh also gives the option of just taking a picture and sending. This kid actually went to the effort to snail mail the labs which is unusual. But he should have asked for an address.

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

My dh teaches online physics classes. One student was missing the graphs on a lab and lost points. The student emailed dh and told him that his scanner was broken so he sent the labs via USPS. 

Dh has no idea where they were sent. He is an adjunct and never goes to the physical school. He has no mailbox. Dh is figuring the student just mailed it to his name and the street address of the school?!!? 

That one came up today. Tell your online students not to mail assignments to the professor without checking with him/her. Dh also gives the option of just taking a picture and sending. This kid actually went to the effort to snail mail the labs which is unusual. But he should have asked for an address.

I can completely see that.

When I was with a previous online school, a student sent me a care package sent to the administrative offices. It sat somewhere for six months and finally showed up one day at my house. Did they really think that I taught from there?

I am assigned to one of the colleges six campuses, but only for administrative purposes. So students constantly want to meet me there because I'm on the roster, but I haven't been there in three years. No mail box, no office there.

It's a different paradigm.

Or, there's a kid like mine who knows full well she can work on assignments any time up until the day it's due, but insists she can put it off till the last minute.  Somewhat infuriatingly to me, she's been able to pull this off in classes where the work is due every week, but she now has a "W" on her transcript for the online class she was taking last summer - much to my chagrin, the prof must have been away most of the summer and split the class assignments into just two due dates over an eight-week class.  I may have said over and over and over to dd that just because nothing was due for four weeks didn't mean she could hold off till the last week to start it.  The prof will have assigned four weeks of work!  Yeah, so that didn't work out, so rather than tank it she withdrew and is retaking the class live in the spring.

Honestly, I wouldn't have signed her up for the class if I'd known it was set up like that.  She had the same prof for a live class last spring and loved, loved, loved him.  But assignments were due every week.  And online, there was ZERO interaction.  Just read the assignment and do the work, so it didn't really matter that the guy was a great teacher if he wasn't actually present in the class... (I really can only speculate that he'd gone out of town for the summer...)  I know full well that not all online classes are set up like this, but it's hard to know ahead of time what you're getting in to until you're already in the class.  Especially CC ones give out zero info as to how the class will be structured; just sign up and hope... and of course you pay the exact same $ as if your kid was getting 3 hours of prof face time per week...

She's taking an online class this semester too (only way to fit it in her schedule), but assignments are due every week, thank goodness.

OP, sounds like you're much more present in the class than what our experience has been.  Kudos for reaching out to the kid.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

OP, sounds like you're much more present in the class than what our experience has been.  Kudos for reaching out to the kid.

Mine have at least one assignment due every week, and I send out weekly reminders. It keeps those who are diligent about it on track.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, Matryoshka said:

Or, there's a kid like mine who knows full well she can work on assignments any time up until the day it's due, but insists she can put it off till the last minute. 

Matryoshka: Since we apparently share custody of the same child, could you please address this problem and get it solved ASAP? TIA!

(?)

• Haha 2