Menu

Decorating question- kitchen window

ktgrok

Are used to use this window is a pseudo-bulletin board for our school work. You can still see some of it up there. Now we have a real school room so I want it to be a regular kitchen window again. I’m thinking curtains would be cute? What kind? The half style, café curtains? At the top? That’s why I want them, to block the sun part comes in in the morning. It gets really hot at that table when the sun comes in. And the sun is in your eyes. Most of the kitchen windows I see have the half curtain at the bottom, but the table with the walk that. Thoughts? Pictures? Links? 

38677043-7D3C-445D-8DD8-95752E64E3B7.jpeg

I would use honeycomb/cellular shades.  They insulate as well as block light.  They come in various light filtering options, from sheer to black-out.  They make arched ones that fan around to cover the window (these are inoperable, so they are always closed).  For the bottom, get the top-down/bottom-up option, so you can choose either to lower it from the top(to see out the top in the afternoon), or raise it from the bottom (to let in light that doesn't shine in your eyes -- the pets would be able to see out the bottom).  Or, of course, you can keep the whole thing open or closed.  They even make an option that moves in the middle, with two different filtering options top and bottom (see my second link, below).

https://www.blinds.com/c/arches/33

https://www.blinds.com/p/blindscom-light-filtering-cellular-arch/518205?width=16&height=20

• Like 2

Another idea for the arch -- take a stained glass class and make an insert for the arched window.  That could be stunning, and would filter the light so it doesn't shine in your eyes.  It might even block some heat.

You could then put curtains, shutters, wood blinds, cellular shades, or whatever you want in the bottom window.  

I’d do a cafe curtain just under the first row of panes, but have a plant shelf just above it full of plants. I might even put a taller one in the middle because of the arch. They’d be nice, but also provide a bit of light-filtering. I’m into garden windows lately and envy your light.  

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’d do a cafe curtain just under the first row of panes, but have a plant shelf just above it full of plants. I might even put a taller one in the middle because of the arch. They’d be nice, but also provide a bit of light-filtering. I’m into garden windows lately and envy your light.  

I love this idea, but I'd wait to do it until your little ones are older, especially since it's so close to the kitchen table.  I would worry that the baby would pull a heavy plant down on herself.