Menu

Dyscalculia, Anyone? How much math?

MollyAnn

Ironically, my ds with ASD and the 3 SLDs (math, reading, writing) can do fractions and +/- quite well but doesn't do any major computation (anything beyond double digits). Probably you need to try more of a discovery method so the concepts actually make sense and she makes the connections. Ronit Bird is BRILLIANT for this. Her positive/negative turnovers game is included in her free Card Games ebook, and that was enough to get my ds there. You just play and then after a while say hey could we make equations for that... 

For fractions, well again Ronit Bird now has an ebook. We used the RightStart fractions puzzle and played a variation of fraction war, slowly building fractions and looking at them on the fractions puzzle and really connecting what the numerator and denominator meant and which was larger. Then he figured out he could build improper fractions, so we started reducing. We were comparing so we started making equivalent fractions. Just very slowly, through understanding...

How old is this dc? There are some kids who spend much of high school getting through algebra 1. If you don't at least get that far, she's going to have a really hard time getting her scores up for college entrance testing. She sounds otherwise quite bright, so I agree with you that this is not something that is going to rock her world long-term. Whatever she does, she'll work around it, yes. But getting to a certain point, well the issue is the teaching, not her. Keep trying other ways, ways that are more hands-on or visualizable, ways based on understanding. Have you tried MUS? People slam it, but for some kids it's golden. If she's in junior high, you could slow down and do some stuff like Family Math and Ronit Bird to build more foundation. She can get there. Plenty of kids with SLD math do. I've even heard of kids with SLD math getting almost perfect SAT math scores. Seriously. 

How old is she?

DS14 has dyscalculia but is in public school. The main, plain, basic answer that I would give is to just keep working on it. At his school, for the lowest math students, they have classes they call Applied Math. In this class, they go over the same basic material as their peers in general ed classes, but at a slower pace and with less detail and complexity. In high school, they will cover what they call "aspects" of algebra during the year that they would have learned algebra, and "aspects" of geometry during the year they should learn geometry.

We are grappling with the "how much math is needed and reasonable" ourselves. DS started this year in Applied Math but is now being moved to a higher level class, because his teachers feel he can handle greater challenge. And part of me feels "great!" and part of me worries that he is going to end up overwhelmed (with material that is too difficult and moves too quickly) and will stall (because he forgets, and doesn't master material, and can't apply what he learns, which his teachers have not observed about him yet, because he is in a new school.)

I just mention that, because even when using the public school, there is a feeling of uncertainty about the right path.

It may take some creativity on your part to figure out how to keep at it and move forward as much as possible, without having everyone end up wallowing in frustration. What curricula have you been using? People may be able to make some suggestions about how to adapt it.

I know that some homeschoolers do not think this is important, but I look at our state high school graduation requirements for guidance. Homeschoolers do not have to follow those requirements, but they do give insight into the basic standards expected from employers when they hire a high school graduate. In our state, it is completion of algebra 2. Will DS get to that level? It's very iffy, in my mind, because I don't see him starting algebra until 10th grade, and I can't imagine him getting through the standard algebra-geometry-algebra 2 courses in three years. But it gives me things to consider.

If you will be homeschooling all the way through, I think if you could get through prealgebra in as solid a way as possible and then choose light, cursory, or introductory programs for the remainder of the required math courses, so that it is not so frustrating.....personally, I think that would not be terrible. Math-U-See is supposed to be on the lighter and easier side, for example. You can also do consumer math during the senior year.