Menu

Continue with Khan to prep for possible National Merit?  Or something PSAT-specific?

My current Junior studied with Khan Academy's SAT prep over the summer and got a 1440 on her August SAT, just before entering 11th grade.  If I understand correctly, this indicates she is not a shoe-in for National Merit, but that she might stand a chance.  She'd like to give it a go and see what happens.  I know the SAT and PSAT are very similar.  Does anyone have any advice about whether over the next month until the PSAT she'd do best to stick with Khan, or whether she should consider switching to a specifically PSAT-based study course?

54 minutes ago, g1234 said:

My current Junior studied with Khan Academy's SAT prep over the summer and got a 1440 on her August SAT, just before entering 11th grade.  If I understand correctly, this indicates she is not a shoe-in for National Merit, but that she might stand a chance.  She'd like to give it a go and see what happens.  I know the SAT and PSAT are very similar.  Does anyone have any advice about whether over the next month until the PSAT she'd do best to stick with Khan, or whether she should consider switching to a specifically PSAT-based study course?

Off-topic, but when did she get her scores?  My dd is still waiting (impatiently) for hers.  

I didn't find anything with a casual search. There are PSAT prep books, but they're not actual tests. In general, it seemed that SAT prep would work fine.

BUT, the PSAT weighs the EBRW score double the math so I'd have your dd concentrate on that. I bought The Critical Reader and the grammar book by Meltzer because they were highly recommended here.

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

I'd have her keep up with Khan, but also have her take the two (?) released PSAT print tests that are available on Khan. Print them out & take them under 'test conditions'. The timing & material on the PSAT are both just slightly different than the SAT, so it is good to be used to the shorter time/# of questions and the variable question mix on the PSAT math section.

Good luck!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

I like RootAnn's advice. My daughter (who qualified for National Merit) studied for PSAT and SAT simultaneously using SAT-specific materials, but it is true that her PSAT score was a bit lower than her SAT.

Really?  That surprises me.  Do you think her PSAT scores were a little lower because the test is a little different?  Natural score variation?  I had assumed that studying for the SAT would be like overstudying for the PSAT, so the PSAT scores would likely be a bit higher.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:23 PM, chiguirre said:

I didn't find anything with a casual search. There are PSAT prep books, but they're not actual tests. In general, it seemed that SAT prep would work fine.

BUT, the PSAT weighs the EBRW score double the math so I'd have your dd concentrate on that. I bought The Critical Reader and the grammar book by Meltzer because they were highly recommended here.

Good luck!!!

I had no idea the PSAT is scored differently.  So the EBRW has more weight in the PSAT than in the SAT?  Thanks for the heads up!

For National merit consideration, you double the EBRW and add the math (to get the Selection Index which the state cutoffs are based on).

The actual scoring is similar. One difference is top score on PSAT is 760 each for EBRW and math. The SAT has 800 as the top score for each section.

• Like 1