Menu

Upset by guilt trip from veterinarian

Pegasus

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

What you are describing happens a LOT.  Veterinary medicine does a terrible job of explaining to owners what "end of life" care looks like for pets and owners.    

It's almost like the profession doesn't want to acknowledge the patients get old and die.  Some problems can't be fixed.  Sometimes the "fix" is worse than the cure.  I've worked with some doctors who privately admit to the support staff that they wish the owner would realize that euthanasia is probably the best option for the pet, but then skirt the issue in the exam room and say "This medication should help.  You should see improvement over time...".  (How much time? How much improvement? What's the goal of this treatment? What are we trying to accomplish here, doc?)  

Then those same owners would show up in tears in my ER, saying they'd spent tons of money, done all the treatments, and while Fluffy had improved fractionally, she was still suffering.  And the owners are confused and upset when we say "I'm sorry, but I don't think Fluffy has a good quality of life anymore.  We could do X,Y, or Z, but euthanasia is a valid consideration, as well".  

I do wonder how much is the vets themselves, vs. response to having so many customers who want their pets to live forever.  Having been bashed online for suggesting children should be taught not to stop for pets in fires, I can only imagine that some vets might genuinely fear reviews from people appalled by the suggestion to let a pet go.

• Like 1

In my case, when I suggested to the vet that “maybe it’s just his time” the vet was like, how should I know if you don’t let me do all these tests and wouldn’t give me any advice on euthanasia. We had to take the cat to the humane society a week later.

I wrote them a nasty letter and they responded that it wasn’t their policy, they didn’t want animals to suffer, etc etc. I’m not sure which came first - pet owners willing to do anything at any cost or vets who encourage that mentality - it seems like a vicious cycle.

13 hours ago, DawnM said:

Our last dog had cancer.  It was in his leg.  The Vet in CA performed surgery but said he couldn't get it all.  It was embedded in his bone.  He said if it were his dog, when it came back, he would go ahead and put him down.  Between his age and going through surgeries, etc...it just wasn't fair to the dog.

We moved to NC.  It came back. The little Vet, young, just out of Vet school, took a look at me and said, "If you really care about your dog, you will have this leg amputated and let him live.  It will only be about $5,000."

The dog was 13 years old!  And the leg was a front leg.  His breed's typical lifespan was 14 (golden/corgi mix.)

We put him down.  It was hard and I was so upset about the Vet talking to me like that.  But I still don't think I made the wrong decision.

I don't think you made the wrong decision.  How arrogant and uninformed of them to say that to you.  How utterly lacking in compassion and perspective. They won't have a long, happy career taking a position like that.  

Odds are that if you had done the amputation, you would have spent about 2 months in rehab with the dog, teaching him how to get around on 3 legs.  And about 6 months after surgery, the cancer would have metastasized to the liver, spleen, and/or lungs.  And then what?  Chemo? More surgery?  Where does it end?

Who does the treatment benefit, the pet, the owner, or the vet? 

*sigh* This is part of why I will probably never go back to veterinary medicine. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I do wonder how much is the vets themselves, vs. response to having so many customers who want their pets to live forever.  Having been bashed online for suggesting children should be taught not to stop for pets in fires, I can only imagine that some vets might genuinely fear reviews from people appalled by the suggestion to let a pet go.

This definitely happens.  Some of my colleagues have been tarred and feathered online.  Every veterinarian I know has been physically threatened by clients either due to money or the death of the pet.  Many techs, assistants, and receptionists have been threatened as well, (I've been threatened).  I've called the cops on unruly clients several times.  ? I can laugh abot it now, but it wasn't so funny at the time. 

• Sad 2