Menu

Standardized testing with special needs students

Hello.  I’m don’t usually visit the special needs board, but I need some help.  I have been asked to speak to a group of homeschool parents on standardized testing.  I’m the testing coordinator for our cover school and have an education degree, so I know most of the info.  My question is how do homeschool students get accommodations for standardized tests, since they don’t have an IEP like public school students?  I want to know about yearly tests like like SAT10 and Cat6, but especially about ACT or SAT tests.  This comes up occasionally in our cover school, so I know I’ll be asked about it.  

Thanks!

My son took his tests at local school his first time doing state required standardized testing testing via an IEP which he had as a homeschooler—so presumption that a homeschool child won’t have an IEP is not universally correct.  

SFAIK this going to depend on state rules for below ACT / SAT level. And possibly the test administrator also, depending on who administers test. Probably best contact your local homeschooling oversight entity to start.  Where I am it is a County Level Office where homeschoolers register. 

For college entrance tests I’m not btdt level, but I believe that the application is made to the test administration in a timely way using documentation of disability. Pretty much the same sfaik as for other students requesting accommodations. 

31 minutes ago, Pen said:

My son took his tests at local school his first time doing state required standardized testing testing via an IEP which he had as a homeschooler—so presumption that a homeschool child won’t have an IEP is not universally correct.  

SFAIK this going to depend on state rules for below ACT / SAT level. And possibly the test administrator also, depending on who administers test. Probably best contact your local homeschooling oversight entity to start.  Where I am it is a County Level Office where homeschoolers register. 

For college entrance tests I’m not btdt level, but I believe that the application is made to the test administration in a timely way using documentation of disability. Pretty much the same sfaik as for other students requesting accommodations. 

What is SFAIK?  

Do you know how those without a IEP can get accommodations?  We don’t have a local oversight group other than coverschools, which means the local testing contact is me. There’s no one with the local school system.

My DS was diagnosed with reading/maths/handwriting SLDs when he was in 2nd grade.  He attended a private school that accommodated as they saw fit, and the school was not legally obligated to provide IEP because they don't accept any Federal or State funding.  The school accommodated the SAT-10 with extended test taking time.  

When DS started homeschooling, he took SAT-10 with the cover for 7th-8th grades.  I showed a copy of son's full education eval to the SAT-10 testing coordinator to demonstrate his need for accommodations, and then he was afforded extra test-taking time and a basic 4-function calculator for half the math portion of the SAT-10. 

When DS took classes at the homeschool cover (7th-12th grades), he carried a laptop for typing and received extra test-taking time.  When we applied for extra time on the ACT, I filled out the paperwork and demonstrated his need and regular usage of the accommodations and included up-to-date educational testing.  The SAT-10 coordinator also wrote a letter stating that DS has received the extra time, testing in a distraction-free location, and the calculator accommodation.  DS was approved for extra test-taking time for ACT in exactly 2 weeks.  Calculators are already allowed during ACT testing, and he did not take the essay portion of the test.  Early on, the College Board people irritated me, so we skipped SAT.  

DS is currently enrolled at an accredited 4-year university and receiving full academic accommodations.  DS was accepted with academic scholarships to all unis that he applied.  He never had an IEP or academic accommodations plan.

Edited by Heathermomster

So far as I know : sfaik. 

In our state, minor accommodations might be granted by a test giver.  

Beyond minor accommodations a child could have a Private version of an IEP, called a PEP which could provide for test accommodations. If a child has enough disability to need test accommodations our homeschool authority expects either a PEP or IEP. Apparently.

I believe the PEP may allow showing progress by means other than standardized tests. The child taking a normal unaccommodated standardized test needs to score above  15th percentile to pass it, so a lot of kids with learning challenges can do that even without accommodations. 

Again, I think you will need to learn the rules for where you are. 

2 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

My DS was diagnosed with reading/maths/handwriting SLDs when he was in 2nd grade.  He attended a private school that accommodated as they saw fit, and the school was not legally obligated to provide IEP because they don't accept any Federal or State funding.  The school accommodated the SAT-10 with extended test taking time.  

When DS started homeschooling, he took SAT-10 with the cover for 7th-8th grades.  I showed a copy of son's full education eval to the SAT-10 testing coordinator to demonstrate his need for accommodations, and then he was afforded extra test-taking time and a basic 4-function calculator for half the math portion of the SAT-10. 

When DS took classes at the homeschool cover (7th-12th grades), he carried a laptop for typing and received extra test-taking time.  When we applied for extra time on the ACT, I filled out the paperwork and demonstrated his need and regular usage of the accommodations and included up-to-date educational testing.  The SAT-10 coordinator also wrote a letter stating that DS has received the extra time and the calculator accommodation.  DS was approved for extra test-taking time for ACT in exactly 2 weeks.  Calculators are already allowed during ACT testing, and he did not take the essay portion of the test.  Early on, the College Board people irritated me, so we skipped SAT.  

DS is currently enrolled at an accredited 4-year university and receiving full academic accommodations.  DS was accepted with academic scholarships to all unis that he applied.  He never had an IEP or academic accommodations plan.

The SAT-10 is not timed, and except for the math computation section, 4 function calculators are allowed for all students.  At least those were the rules when our cover school last gave it.  We had a student with a physical handicap that needed more time to fill in the bubble sheet. I was able to arrange for him to be tested by himself so he could take all the time he needed.  It wasn’t technically an accommodation because of its being untimed.

Calculator usage was an accommodation for us because the private school DS attended did not allow it for any student.  

DS was also tested in isolation at the private school and cover because he worked considerably slower than other children.  Our cover serves 115 families with many children being tested over a 3 day period..  DS was accommodated whether the test was timed or not.

Some standardized tests are administered and proctored by the parent, meaning they're on their own recognizance. If a dc has had evals, they will have documentation specifying accommodations. If a parent *suspects* disability but has not eval'ed, then it's their call whether to give accommodations as they see fit or pursue evals. That's where it gets sticky as a speaker, because there are home schoolers in the over my dead body would I eval Johnny and hurt his feelings by telling him he has a disability camp, and you have the rabid testers, and you have the people in-between. I'm speaking in hyperbole, but you get the point. So you as a speaker will need some wisdom how to present that. To *me* I think it's unethical to give accommodations/modifications a school would not provide without documentation. So a school would take breaks, give snacks, etc., but a school would expect to see a psych eval and a 504 or IEP before doing extended time, limited distraction testing environment, etc.

And then think about the range. We're already limited distraction if we're at home, and we're controlling breaks. That means a LOT of what is normal run of the mill for say ADHD is already handled. Now an ADHD dc with documentation will typically qualify for extended time. They might say they know Johnny has it and they want to go ahead and do that. Well that's their business, their recognizance, BUT it's not in the best interest of the child. At that point, if the disability is SO SIGNIFICANT that the dc needs extra time for what he knows to come out, then that's significant enough to be getting evals. And I think to the ethical question, I think you could pull it out of the realm of opinion by contacting the testing companies or looking on their sites to see if they offer guidance. My statement on ethics was my OPINION. I think if you're going to do that, get the documentation. Every dc in America has the federal right to free evals through the ps, so there's no reason they can't get evals and get some documentation.

Now, as far as the 504/IEP, that's depending on your state law and local policies. In our state, the ps are NOT required to write 504/IEPs. They ARE required by federal law to eval. They're two separate steps, and writing a 504/IEP is more man (woman) hours, more expense. No school will do that if they don't have to or are strapped. So in our state, the more well to do districts will often be generous and write 504/IEPs, and the more strapped districts like ours tell you to take a hike. There are ways around that in our state (filing for the state disability scholarship first, blah blah), but the point is there are hoops. 

But yes, I agree with Pen that it would be totally in error to assume no one in the audience has dealt with the IEP process just because they homeschool. I've done it ad nauseum, and people may have moved, transferred, whatever. 

The college testing stuff has improved over the last few years, so the thing they need to know there is that establishing paper trail helps their cause. Look up what the current policies. Getting evals, be able to show they had documentation and used the accommodations over the years is part of the process of having that option in place smoothly and easily when they really, really want it, for college testing. They can get around it for anything they do at home, but if they want the accommodations for college entrance testing they'll need the evals and paper trail.

Not every dc with a disability ends up using accommodations for college testing. My dd would have been eligible for extended time and a limited distraction testing environment. The normal advice in deciding whether to go for the accommodations is to do sample tests (back issues that you can buy or get at the library in books) with and without the extra time and see how it goes and what difference it makes. I think we did it by changing ink colors, so we just did the test and changed colors. For my dd, only one section would have been affected, and her composite scores were still high enough to make our goals and achieve scholarships everywhere she applied. If the scores had altered more appreciably (I think it was going to be 1 point), obviously we would have applied for the accommodations.

What DID make an astonishing and radical difference for my dd's test scores was ADHD meds. They bumped her processing speed and her ACT scores went up by basically 50%. Actually it may have been more than 50%, but basically 50%. That's the difference between barely getting into a college and top scholarships. Without the meds, she would have been toast. And when I tell people that, people who are in the EVALS ARE OF THE DEVIL AND WILL SEND YOUR DC DOWN BELOW camp and the I WOULD NEVER RUIN MY KID WITH THOSE TERRIBLE WIMP OUT ADHD MEDS, and then they do the MATH... they get kinda sick.  

We held out on meds a long, long time, so I'm really in the lots of ways to float your boat, if it's working it's working camp. What I'm really not in favor of is the it's not working so we stick our heads in the sand camp. And I've had people whomp me too, so I get it. Unfortunately, this is a topic that is probably going to come up once you start talking about disabilities and testing and futures. Futures start looking really different if Bright Johnny can't get the score he needs on the test to get in, can't get the work done, etc. So maybe if you want to explain what the ps would do in evals, what a private psych would do in evals, etc., that would be helpful information to your audience. (they'll typically run IQ, achievement testing, and screenings, and that information allows them to see processing speed, screen for learning disabilities, and identify areas you can target in your homeschool as well as STRENGTHS you can harness, blah blah)

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

The College Board, etc. have their requirements now on their website. I think they streamlined it so if you have an IEP (like my ds does), it's easy peasy. If you search I'm sure you'll find what they're expecting now. Even when it was really obnoxious, it was still the basics. (recent evals, paper trail documenting use, demonstrating the accommodations affect scores) But really, we didn't know until my dd got to that stage whether we'd use the accommodations or not. Our evals were done WELL BEFORE that. And she uses accommodations in college now too, btw. Not using them for the ACT was just a decision we made. At her university, yes, absolutely she uses them. 

So eval early and often is my advice. Knowledge is your friend and it helps you make informed decisions. It saves you lots of grief where you're thinking you know the explanation and it turns out to be something else. If a dc has significant enough issues that they need accommodations for testing, they need evals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Some standardized tests are administered and proctored by the parent, meaning they're on their own recognizance.

Here in Oregon a parent could give whatever tests they want with whatever accommodations they want—for purposes of their own information or practice at test taking, etc. 

However, usually when talking about standardized testing accommodations people are referring to testing required by the state.  Here on a schedule set by state statute (in 3rd, 5th, 8th and iirc 10th and 12th grade) homeschool dc have to take an approved standardized test proctored by an approved test giver, who cannot be a relative or family friend. Unless there is a PEP or IEP to alter that  

The goal is to catch homeschooling education failures, though unfortunately the families where no education is going on probably have not registered and don’t do the required testing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

However, usually when talking about standardized testing accommodations people are referring to testing required by the state.

Ahhh, see in our state we have to provide either standardize test scores or documentation from a portfolio review every year and we're not required to take the state testing. But yeah, that would depend on the op's state and what they require.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:19 PM, Pen said:

However, usually when talking about standardized testing accommodations people are referring to testing required by the state.  Here on a schedule set by state statute (in 3rd, 5th, 8th and iirc 10th and 12th grade) homeschool dc have to take an approved standardized test proctored by an approved test giver, who cannot be a relative or family friend. Unless there is a PEP or IEP to alter that. 

With son’s cover, the SAT-10 test was proctored in huge rooms by approved test givers who happened to be homeschooling parents.  We were dispersed so that we weren’t handling our own child’s grade level.  The SAT-10 is untimed; however, the parents of SLD kiddos with proof of SLD were able to request testing in a distraction-free environment, a reader for the test where permissible, and more time than NT kids received.  A proctor would bubble the exam for a child with a physical handicap.  These details are managed in advance, and the parent has to request the accommodation through the cover's testing coordinator.

College Board and ACT want to see proof of disability from a certified tester that is less than 3 years old and an established history of using accommodations.  The parents can call and speak with the ACT help desk.  The ACT people understand that homeschooling laws vary by state and that many homeschooled students will not have IEP.  

The main issue that I see with high school aged homeschoolers and ACT and SAT testing accommodations is cost.  A full education eval runs about $2000 in my area, and health insurance may not cover.  SAT/ACT and universities require educational testing less than 3 years old, so high school parents need to think and plan carefully about how and when they get their students tested.  Qualified testers may take months or weeks to get a testing appointment and receive the student's testing results/written report. 

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2018 at 3:49 PM, athena1277 said:

Do you know how those without a IEP can get accommodations?  

The short answer is lots of documentation and an equal amount of persistence, and definitely start early. The College Board has streamlined their process for public school students with formal school plans, but so far they feel absolutely no obligation to follow their own streamlined policies when reviewing requests for accommodations for homeschooled or even private school students. I ended up contacting my senator and filing an ADA complaint with the Department of Justice because of the 3 year long process it took to get simple extended time accommodations for my dyslexic dd.

We needed two complete neuropsychological evaluations (age 13 and age 16), a very detailed academic history (this included discussion of her reading issues from the time she was in kindergarten throughout her school career, listing of all the curricula we used, how often she was tutored and for how long, and any and all accommodations we made for schoolwork at home), multiple letters from her teachers (she was homeschooled through middle school and is now in private high school), a letter from the school detailing her current school accommodations, and letter from her therapist describing her anxiety diagnosis. 

Even with all this, it took three years (I applied originally as a homeschooler and subsequently through the high school). First she was not approved because they wanted additional documentation (hence the second evaluation). Then she approved for extended time, but only for math. And, finally she was approved for extended time for all standardized testing. I spent many, many hours on the phone with the College Board. I consulted a lawyer. I had to learn all the details of the requirements myself (the SSD representatives at the College Board were no help at all).

The College Board has streamlined their policies for public school students, but they are not applying those policies to homeschooled students (their requirements are listed on their website, which is not easy to navigate). The DOJ has a document describing how the testing entities should act with regard to accommodations in order to be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The College Board consistently violates those requirements. I would encourage all homeschooled students who are repeatedly denied by the College Board or ACT to file complaints with the DOJ. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hepatica said:

The short answer is lots of documentation and an equal amount of persistence, and definitely start early. The College Board has streamlined their process for public school students with formal school plans, but so far they feel absolutely no obligation to follow their own streamlined policies when reviewing requests for accommodations for homeschooled or even private school students. I ended up contacting my senator and filing an ADA complaint with the Department of Justice because of the 3 year long process it took to get simple extended time accommodations for my dyslexic dd.

We needed two complete neuropsychological evaluations (age 13 and age 16), a very detailed academic history (this included discussion of her reading issues from the time she was in kindergarten throughout her school career, listing of all the curricula we used, how often she was tutored and for how long, and any and all accommodations we made for schoolwork at home), multiple letters from her teachers (she was homeschooled through middle school and is now in private high school), a letter from the school detailing her current school accommodations, and letter from her therapist describing her anxiety diagnosis. 

Even with all this, it took three years (I applied originally as a homeschooler and subsequently through the high school). First she was not approved because they wanted additional documentation (hence the second evaluation). Then she approved for extended time, but only for math. And, finally she was approved for extended time for all standardized testing. I spent many, many hours on the phone with the College Board. I consulted a lawyer. I had to learn all the details of the requirements myself (the SSD representatives at the College Board were no help at all).

The College Board has streamlined their policies for public school students, but they are not applying those policies to homeschooled students (their requirements are listed on their website, which is not easy to navigate). The DOJ has a document describing how the testing entities should act with regard to accommodations in order to be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The College Board consistently violates those requirements. I would encourage all homeschooled students who are repeatedly denied by the College Board or ACT to file complaints with the DOJ. 

Thank you for sharing your experience.  That link has so much information.  I really appreciate it.