Menu

Help me make travel plans

lexi

Every December we go to Great Wolf Lodge - usually the first week of December.

That time frame won’t work this year so I’m trying to make other plans. The best part of going at that time was that it was very very low occupancy. And of course, we got much better rates.

So my husband thinks we should go the week of Thanksgiving. I think it will be crowded. 

The other option is December 17-19. Again, I think it will be crowded and the rates are likely higher.

What do you think? Will people travel there on Thanksgiving break? Will schools already be out the week of the 17th of December? How busy will that be as a travel week?

I don’t know about December, but we did GWL last October right before Halloween and it was practically empty.  There were only a couple other school-age kids there (made it a lot easier for the kids to find someone to play with!), and a handful of preschoolers plus parents/grandparents.

I know that wasn’t one of your stated options, but we did plan the trip in late August, only 2 months out, with no problems.  I would be worried that mid-to-late December would be filled with traveling grandparents, who are staying there so the grandkids can swim once school’s out.

Edited by BarbecueMom

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My friend goes to Kalahari during Thanksgiving break every year and says it's full.  Our district's last day of school for the year is 12/20 but that seems awfully late.  

I thought that would be a busy week. 

I’m just worried our other date is too late in December and will also be very crowded. 

7 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

I don’t know about December, but we did GWL last October right before Halloween and it was practically empty.  There were only a couple other school-age kids there (made it a lot easier for the kids to find someone to play with!), and a handful of preschoolers plus parents/grandparents.

I know that wasn’t one of your stated options, but we did plan the trip in late August, only 2 months out, with no problems.  I would be worried that mid-to-late December would be filled with traveling grandparents, who are staying there so the grandkids can swim once school’s out.

Nope. October isn’t an option. My hubby only gets 1 day off for fall break in October. And it’s a Friday and I’m not going to GWL on a weekend

I thought he actually got a fall break and that we could go then. But that won’t work.  

I’m so incredibly frustrated with his new supervisor. 

Friday was supposed to be his flex day/work from home day. That’s gone now.

• Sad 1

I’m not sure since I’ve never been on those specific dates, but I’d say the Dec date would definitely be better than around Thanksgiving. Here, public schools don’t even get out until the 19th of Dec. Our family lives in a different state and they don’t get out until the 19th as well. Usually it’s that weekend or the next week that’s crowded at touristy places IME. I think the 17-19 would likely beat the rush!

We went around that December date last year (the 13th-15th), and it wasn't crowded. It wasn't empty, like at other times of the year, though. The water park felt fine; the only time I felt crowded was when it snowed in the lobby at night. But definitely not packed. 

BTW, we love the GWL. We go every year.