Menu

Health insurance question - heath insurance plan for university student

Lisa R.

I have a question regarding health insurance plan for a university student in the US. Please, no bashing US healthcare on this thread. I acknowledge it's a mess.

My adult dd has some chronic health issues and also has health insurance. She works for a school district. It is terrible health insurance as she has a high deductible and also has to pay 20% of her doctor or hospital bills after deductible is met. 

She is a graduate student at a local university. It appears this university offers health insurance for their students, even graduate students. It is amazing insurance with an affordable premium, low deductible and great coverage. She could get coverage from 8/15/18-8/14/19  (she finishes her master's program in the spring) with the option to extend it for 6 more months at a similar monthly rate.

This seems too good to be true. What am I missing? Can she keep her school district health insurance, just to keep eligible, and also get the insurance the university offers? She could use the university insurance as her primary insurance she files at her doctor visits.  Is this allowed?

If she is 25 or under I believe that she can be covered under her parents' insurance.  That might be the best deal available.

University coverage is sometimes just for a bit over emergency care.  I'd be careful to understand that thoroughly before opting for it as primary or sole coverage.  But in general, younger folks' insurance is much cheaper than older.  So an individual policy might be pretty affordable.

A university insurance for students is inexpensive because the population of insured students consists of mostly young people in their 20s; it is cheap to offer insurance to this demographic because their health care costs are lower than average. So no, the university plan is not too good to be true.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jdahlquist said:

You will need to look at the "coordination of benefits".  One insurance policy will be designated as primary and the other as secondary.  The rules of how it is determined which is primary may vary by state.

It appears that the primary would be the insurance she's had the longest which is, of course, the school district. So does the high deductible plan of the school district's policy have to be satisfied before the secondary university insurance starts covering charges?

Also, would it make sense to drop school district's coverage and get the university's coverage for the year? Then, pick up the school district's coverage next fall. (School district has fall enrollment for health coverage.) It seems risky to drop an employer's coverage, but is it?