Menu

Algebra 2 junior year ?

My dd has decided to skip a grade due to her age difference with peers since we moved to CA. It’s fine In every respect except, possibly, math.

If this is her 10th grade year, she will end up taking Algebra 2 in 11th grade which means as she takes her SATs at the end of 11th grade, she would not be quite finished Algebra 2.

Would this put her at a disadvantage? We thought of doubling up Algebra 2 and Geometry this year but she just honestly doesn’t have the time. She has a heavy commitment outside the home with her horse and three days of dual enrollment classes. And a hands on lab class....Her chunk of time to work at home is already down to four hours. 

So I guess I’m asking how much Algebra 2 is on the SAT ?

I can tell you that with Mathusee, the difference between completing Algebra 2 and not before taking the SAT would be at least a difference of 100 points and does include not testing into college level math (530 on math seems to be the goal).  At least, that has been our experience with practice tests.  We have chosen to take the SATs in October of senior year for this very reason, as my dd  is just now (early in senior year) completing Algebra 2.

My dd will be taking Alg 2 this year, as a junior. She's not a math person, & I didn't push it. However, now I'm feeling like maybe she should have done Alg 2 last year, instead of Geometry so that she'd have it in time for the PSAT. Oh, well.

Don't know what the right answer is. & It won't really matter unless the student is in the running for NMSQT, if you care about that.  Just throwing this out there FWIW.

Edited by yvonne

I don't have "been there" experience, but I do have a child on the same trajectory a year behind yours so I thought I"d share my right now thoughts for him.

What I'm thinking about doing with him after Algebra I is a basic geometry with MathUSee. I'm hoping it will be quick, but give him enough foundation. Then I'll move to Algebra II. If, after Algebra II, I think he needs more we can review geometry or use a fuller program. I'm thinking he'll have a good Algebra I and II foundation by mid Junior year and enough geometry to manage. 

If that doesn't seem like it's going to work out when we get there, I planned to move to Algebra II first, then follow with geometry. 

• Like 1