Menu

6th Grade Literature

NewIma

Hello! I know there must be threads about this, but I can't get the search engine to work. I ordered Lightening Lit 7 for my dd11 (6th grade) and love the look of it but think if might be best to wait and do it next year. I need suggestions for secular 6th grade literature programs. Does that even exist!? Thank you for any help you can give! We start school in 2 weeks and I wasn't planning on having to rethink my choices already!

I just ordered one from this series, but I don't have it in my hand yet. I think someone on the boards (sorry, can't remember who) recommended it for secular literature - Prentice Hall Literature: Timeless Voices, Timeless Themes.

This one appears to be the sixth grade book : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130547867/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are teacher's manuals, test banks, workbooks, etc. in existence. It appears to cover short stories, poetry, novels (excerpts?) with some literary analysis.

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme

For that age, it would not be too difficult to just pull together a solid book list for reading, and then choose 4-6 books to go into depth with an study guide. If interested in going that route, if you can provide a little bit more info on your student's level of reading, *interest* in reading, and topics of interest to read about, we could all chip in and provide a great 6th grade girl reading list for you, and suggest a few titles to go deep with. Below are a few titles from 3 secular lit. guide providers to get you started.

Glencoe Literature Library guides (free, online)
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Number the Stars
Shiloh
Tuck Everlasting
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
A Wrinkle in Time

Garlic Press Discovering Literature guides
Island of the Blue Dolphins
My Side of the Mountain
Where the Red Fern Grows

Blackbird & Company Literature guides
The Cay
Eight Cousins
El Deafo
Pocahontas
The Shakespeare Stealer
The Wanderer
The Westing Game
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
A Wrinkle in Time

• Like 2

These are great suggestions, especially the Glenco guides.

Can anyone recommend any books in the 5-6th grade level that do not involve people getting killed/dying? I'm looking for less traumatic reading that has more depth than younger-level chapter books.

1 hour ago, heather6 said:

Can anyone recommend any books in the 5-6th grade level that do not involve people getting killed/dying? I'm looking for less traumatic reading that has more depth than younger-level chapter books.

Welcome! I see by your post count you are new. A few gentle favorites of ours for that age range:

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)
- The Great Wheel (Lawson) -- I *think* the main character gets the money to immigrate to America right at the very start of the book due to an elderly relative gifting it to him as the relative is dying, but it is very minor and not graphic, and rest of the book is humorous and fascinating
- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsberg)
- Chasing Vermeer (Balliett)
- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill)
- The School Story (Clements)
- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)
- Half Magic; Magic By the Lake (Eager) -- humorous; the father had died before the story started, and there is positive resolution/moving on at the end
- Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Lewis) -- part of the Chronicles of Narnia; search for the 7 missing lords; peril, and 2 are found to have perished, but no scenes of dying or death, but rather closure of knowing what happened
- The Phantom Toll Booth (Juster)
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll)
- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)
- My Side of the Mountain (George)
- Two Are Better Than One (Brink)
- The Incredible Journey (Burnford) -- animals in peril, but none die
- Ben and Me; Mr. Revere and I (Lawson)
- 101 Dalmatians (Smith) -- animals in peril, but none die
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- the parents are thought to have died in a shipwreck, but didn't, and make a happy ending return
- A Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle) -- the father is missing, and the children are in peril as they go after him, but none die; happily reunited at end

I don't *recall* any deaths/dying, but may want to double-check: 
- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Kelly)
- Adam of the Road (Gray)
- The Little White Horse (Goudge)
- The Journeyman (Yates)
- The Black Stallion (Farley)
- Kildee House (Montgomery)
- Rascal (North)
- Shiloh (Naylor)
- Wonder (Palacio)
- The Mysterious Benedict Society (Stewart)
- Wendy Mass books: 11 Birthdays; The Candymakers; Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life

• Like 1

I cannot thank you enough! I have a very high-level young reader and it's become extremely challenging to find literature books that are appropriate for emotional/social age that are also appropriate for the reading level. He's read a few of these, but wow, what a long list ... thank you !!!

• Like 1