Menu

Need health curriculum that covers reproduction

MrsRobinson

I'm looking for a health curriculum for this year for my 5th grade dd that covers more than just "personal hygiene." Full coverage of human reproduction is what I'm looking for and now that I am typing this I'm thinking maybe I'd actually find what I'm looking for in a science curriculum? I don't remember our science for this year covering it but I'll go back and double check.

Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated. 

In the past I've cobbled something like this together myself, and that's also my plan for this coming year.  I used some Usborn books  - one on puberty and one on human reproduction - as spines, but also used some library books and materials off the web on reproduction in plants and animals.  And I found some really nice videos on Youtube that seemed to make an impact as well.  They were especially interested in ones about life in the womb, and comparing different sorts of animal development.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Are you buying the guide and the "It's Perfectly Normal" book? Anything else? It's not done anywhere here, so I think we'd be doing it at home too. 

I think so. I have to look at "It's Perfectly Normal" to see if we even need it, because we have a ridiculous number of books on puberty and health laying around. I'd rather have it and not need it than the opposite, though, so I'll probably just go ahead and buy it. I don't plan on buying anything else at this point.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

In the past I've cobbled something like this together myself, and that's also my plan for this coming year.  I used some Usborn books  - one on puberty and one on human reproduction - as spines, but also used some library books and materials off the web on reproduction in plants and animals.  And I found some really nice videos on Youtube that seemed to make an impact as well.  They were especially interested in ones about life in the womb, and comparing different sorts of animal development.

The italics is exactly how a friend of mine said her dc's science worked up to human reproduction but its an all in one boxed set so you are right, it might be easier to just get a few spines and do it myself rather than hunt for a full science curriculum.

The bold is right up my dd's alley. She would love that. She watched a goat give birth and now she wants to be a farmer!

I don't know why its so difficult to see the obvious sometimes, thanks for opening my eyes!

Good luck to Mergath and hippiemamato3 covering this topic with 5th grade girls this year! (these kids are growing too fast!?)

• Like 1

We used Noeo Life Science around that year.  It was actually well done.  It started with single cells and worked its way up through plants and animals before reaching people, covering reproduction for each group it covered.  We rounded out the last bit with an extra book on puberty, but other than that it was covered well.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 6:25 AM, MrsRobinson said:

The italics is exactly how a friend of mine said her dc's science worked up to human reproduction but its an all in one boxed set so you are right, it might be easier to just get a few spines and do it myself rather than hunt for a full science curriculum.

The bold is right up my dd's alley. She would love that. She watched a goat give birth and now she wants to be a farmer!

I don't know why its so difficult to see the obvious sometimes, thanks for opening my eyes!

Good luck to Mergath and hippiemamato3 covering this topic with 5th grade girls this year! (these kids are growing too fast!?)

Thanks! I feel like DD knows a lot, but overcoming my own awkwardness around some of these topics is always the biggest challenge! 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 4:49 AM, HomeAgain said:

We used Noeo Life Science around that year.  It was actually well done.  It started with single cells and worked its way up through plants and animals before reaching people, covering reproduction for each group it covered.  We rounded out the last bit with an extra book on puberty, but other than that it was covered well.

Looking this up now! It sounds like a great spine for what I'm wanting to accomplish! Thanks for the suggestion!

3 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

Looking this up now! It sounds like a great spine for what I'm wanting to accomplish! Thanks for the suggestion!

In that case, let me correct myself. ? It was Noeo Biology Level 2.  The experiments were hit or miss (we liked the terrarium and the sea monkeys that year, and the owl pellet, but the instructions were mostly "you will see this" and not discovery like we prefer), but we still use most of the books even now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Thanks! I feel like DD knows a lot, but overcoming my own awkwardness around some of these topics is always the biggest challenge! 

Yes, exactly. I try to be really straightforward with my kids when they ask questions but its hard! Dd and I read through The Keeping and Care of You 1 last year and I loved having a book. It diffused my own awkwardness a bit. It felt like it wasn't just *me* telling her these crazy things that are about to happen. "Look, dd, this is so normal that people wrote, illustrated, and published a book about it." ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

In that case, let me correct myself. ? It was Noeo Biology Level 2.  The experiments were hit or miss (we liked the terrarium and the sea monkeys that year, and the owl pellet, but the instructions were mostly "you will see this" and not discovery like we prefer), but we still use most of the books even now.

Thanks so much!

On 8/5/2018 at 5:49 AM, HomeAgain said:

What puberty book did you use?