Menu

Lipstick Chromatography help (Forensic Science)

The book I am following says to use several acetone-soluble lipsticks and compare the chromatography when the end of the filter strip is left in acetone. My trouble is that the one lipstick I have that is supposedly acetone-soluble per the book did not do anything after the strip soaked in acetone for 15 minutes (per the directions of the book).

The other two lipsticks are not of the brands the curriculum mentions as acetone-soluble--I bought them to test since they were cheap (dollar store).

So far, after about 30 minutes, no results on the acetone. 

If none of this is acetone soluble, any suggestions on what other medium I could use for chromatography? Someone suggested on Reddit to try an oil--so I am testing it with baby oil right now . . .

Update: after 30 minutes, no result with the oil

Trying a 50/50 mix of acetone/99% IPA  Update: Fail

Trying olive oil . . . Fail

Trying denatured alcohol . . .Fail

Tried acetone again, with chromatography strips only (not coffee filters) and it worked with one lipstick and possibly with one other. Very faint on the third.

Edited by cintinative

43 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've done chromatography with markers using water then alcohol to show different results.

That's what we did as well. You can use strips of white coffee filters or paper towels hanging down into a cup of water for quick results.

Lipsticks are bound to be oil based but in order for chromatography to work, there has to be an attraction balance between the mobile phase (your solvent) and your stationary phase (your paper).  Acetone and alcohol are probably both still too polar if the lipstick isn't at least somewhat water soluble.  You might be able to get it to work with a completely nonpolar organic solvent but those are difficult to purchase outside of a lab, are usually quite flammable, and most are carcinogenic.  Carbon tetrachloride comes to mind.  Or pet ether (petroleum ether).  You probably don't want to be using either of those in your kitchen, though. ?

I would use the lab as a jumping-off point for discussions as to why it didn't work.

The ink chromatography would be a good one to go along with forensic science.  You could talk about identify inks as to components, etc.

Good luck and have fun! ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Lipsticks are bound to be oil based but in order for chromatography to work, there has to be an attraction balance between the mobile phase (your solvent) and your stationary phase (your paper).  Acetone and alcohol are probably both still too polar if the lipstick isn't at least somewhat water soluble.  You might be able to get it to work with a completely nonpolar organic solvent but those are difficult to purchase outside of a lab, are usually quite flammable, and most are carcinogenic.  Carbon tetrachloride comes to mind.  Or pet ether (petroleum ether).  You probably don't want to be using either of those in your kitchen, though. ?

I would use the lab as a jumping-off point for discussions as to why it didn't work.

The ink chromatography would be a good one to go along with forensic science.  You could talk about identify inks as to components, etc.

Good luck and have fun! ?

Thanks! We are doing the ink chromatography also.  You are right--I really would prefer not to use carbon tetrachloride. I saw something that mentioned a mix of hexane and ethyl alcohol and even that makes me a bit nervous. I am running the class with 10-14 year olds.   I did get the acetone to work the second time around with two of the lipsticks. My set up must have been poor the first time.  I am going to look for a third lipstick that works but if not, it will be useful for discussion as you stated.  

• Like 1