Menu

Czech Republic

Amira

We drove from Innsbruck to Prague,  We went up through Regensburg, so I different route than what you would be taking.  I had heard so much about Prague, I was excited to go, but found it a bit disappointing relative to other places I had been in Europe.  DH and DS did a nuclear underground bunker tour, which seemed at the time to be an expensive tour, but DH did say it is one of the most interesting tours he has done.

• Like 2

Prague is beautiful. The castle is amazing! The Old Town, Jewish Quarter, Charles Bridge are all very interesting to see. The food is really good and inexpensive. Cesky Krumlov is very beautiful too. We also did a day trip to Franz Ferdinand castle, Konopiste and that really brought his part of history to life. His family's belongings are well preserved including what they were wearing when they were assassinated . In Prague you can see the major sights of Operation Antropoid. The church where they were killed is worth a visit. Maybe you could watch the movie before you go. My husband loves history so we saw all that kind of stuff. Another interesting day trip is to the village of Lidice where the massacre of the entire village took place. There is a museum and you can take guided tours. We thought it was important for our kids to see these kinds of things. 

ETA: On a lighter note, my dh enjoyed the Pilsner Urquell Brewery Tour with a friend. I had a shopping day with the girls.

• Like 1

We took the train from Berlin to Prague which was an absolutely beautiful trip. We really enjoyed our time in Prague and stayed in a cute little apartment that was part of a very small hotel. The woman running it was determined that all of her guests would have a wonderful time in Prague and was very helpful with directions and recommendations. We did a couple of free walking tours in the city center to see the major sites and also explored on foot by ourselves quite a bit. We also took public transportation to the edges of the city, as we enjoyed seeing what things were like away from the city center. We rode a fernicular up to a nice park with a tower and an observatory. The food is amazingly cheap and at least for the traditional food, servings are ridiculously large, as in three of us could barely finish a single regular meal. It was our favorite city on our European trip two years ago. About the only downside was all of the cobblestone streets don’t make it a good place for bike tours which is something we always like to do first when visiting a new city.

• Like 1