Menu

Geography, art, and poetry wrapped into one program? Sort of like The Good and the Beautiful??

tld

We did our first year of The Good and the Beautiful language arts last year.  I loved it!  But as I think about it, what I realize that I loved was the variety each day along with the geography, art study, art instruction, and poetry.  I don't feel that the grammar and writing area is as good as it could be, which defeats it being used as our language arts curriculum.

So if I switched to another grammar and writing program, is there any other single program that would encompass the geography, art, and poetry that I'm missing?  I'd love it to be just ONE program, sort of like TGATB, so there isn't so much juggling.

Or is there another language arts program similar to The Good and the Beautiful that I'm missing?

When we looked at TGTB, I realized I was drawn to the same.  We ended up going with English Lessons Through Literature, which has art study and poetry mixed into the language arts.  My kid loved all the book selections, which was an added bonus.
This year we are not using ELTL because writing ramped up in other subjects and I thought he wasn't ready for one of the books on the list - which also happened to be the one book he decided to read on his own this summer. ?  But we're taking a break to go slower and do our own CM style.  Instead, I'm planning on using enrichment from Creek Edge Press.  It goes along with our history period and offers memory work as well as enrichment lessons in geography, arts, and nature study.

22 minutes ago, rjand6more said:

Why not just get the Companion books from TG&TB?

Are your referring to the Level 4 Creative Companion?  That's the only companion book that I can think of that has the art, poetry, and geography in it.  He's half way through that book and that thought did cross my mind.....just having him do that book on top of whatever else we do for language arts.  And then when we come to level 5 just printing the free pdf download and just doing the sections that pertain to those areas.  But that will be a lot of weeding through things.  Was hoping there was just something different but similar.  Things like the Simply Charlotte Mason enrichment stuff is fine, but it's just more pieces to juggle rather than it all being in one place.

1 hour ago, tld said:

Are your referring to the Level 4 Creative Companion?  That's the only companion book that I can think of that has the art, poetry, and geography in it.  He's half way through that book and that thought did cross my mind.....just having him do that book on top of whatever else we do for language arts.  And then when we come to level 5 just printing the free pdf download and just doing the sections that pertain to those areas.  But that will be a lot of weeding through things.  Was hoping there was just something different but similar.  Things like the Simply Charlotte Mason enrichment stuff is fine, but it's just more pieces to juggle rather than it all being in one place.

Yes, the Creative Companion.

I have never found all that I want in 1 source for LA. Ever.  I just use the parts of different curricula that I like best.

Memoria Press has enrichment options.Art, Geography, Poetry are all separate.

A Gentle Feast has a morning time schedule that is awesome. It has everything but geography. No actual art instruction, though like TG&TB.

I'm loving the look of Beautiful Feet's new Around the World with Picture Books guide. I think it has quite a bit of poetry and art, but I've only seen samples online. It definitely has the geography, but I think the target age is younger Elementary. Although the picture books look beautiful enough for older kids too.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 6:40 PM, tld said:

We did our first year of The Good and the Beautiful language arts last year.  I loved it!  But as I think about it, what I realize that I loved was the variety each day along with the geography, art study, art instruction, and poetry.  I don't feel that the grammar and writing area is as good as it could be, which defeats it being used as our language arts curriculum.

So if I switched to another grammar and writing program, is there any other single program that would encompass the geography, art, and poetry that I'm missing?  I'd love it to be just ONE program, sort of like TGATB, so there isn't so much juggling.

Or is there another language arts program similar to The Good and the Beautiful that I'm missing?

I just want to throw this out there. We did TGTB part of last year. My kids loved it and I did not. It felt like not enough for writing and grammar. I jumped ship and felt super critical about many aspects of the curriculum. My DD wanted to keep doing it so I let her do it on her own time and supplemented. It became too much and she dropped it much to my glee. 

So then a weird thing happened...I started to notice all of the grammar and writing she had retained and used came from TGTB and not from my other well chosen choices. Something about the activities and pace of TGTB clicked for her. She absorbed everything she learned in TGTB. I started to notice the same thing with my boys. So we picked it back up. My soon to be 2nd grader was struggling with grasping to be verbs and it recently clicked in place thanks to TGTB. My DDs paper on "What Makes Quality Literature" in her 3rd grade level blew my DH away. She is really REALLY getting it. 

So I just want to say, if you and your students love it, maybe keep going and sprinkle in a little extra writing and grammar where you can. You might be surprised ?

• Like 3

On 7/15/2018 at 9:10 AM, nixpix5 said:

I just want to throw this out there. We did TGTB part of last year. My kids loved it and I did not. It felt like not enough for writing and grammar. I jumped ship and felt super critical about many aspects of the curriculum. My DD wanted to keep doing it so I let her do it on her own time and supplemented. It became too much and she dropped it much to my glee. 

So then a weird thing happened...I started to notice all of the grammar and writing she had retained and used came from TGTB and not from my other well chosen choices. Something about the activities and pace of TGTB clicked for her. She absorbed everything she learned in TGTB. I started to notice the same thing with my boys. So we picked it back up. My soon to be 2nd grader was struggling with grasping to be verbs and it recently clicked in place thanks to TGTB. My DDs paper on "What Makes Quality Literature" in her 3rd grade level blew my DH away. She is really REALLY getting it. 

So I just want to say, if you and your students love it, maybe keep going and sprinkle in a little extra writing and grammar where you can. You might be surprised ?

What levels did you use?

30 minutes ago, nixpix5 said:

My boys used level 1 and my DD used leveled 2 last year. She is currently doing level 3 and the boys are doing level 2 now since we school year round. 

I'm actually using level 1 and level 3 this year for my two younger ones.  I like them for the younger ones, but I question it more for my 6th grader who would be finishing up level 4 and then level 5 this year.  Some might be his personality and  need for more review.

14 hours ago, tld said:

I'm actually using level 1 and level 3 this year for my two younger ones.  I like them for the younger ones, but I question it more for my 6th grader who would be finishing up level 4 and then level 5 this year.  Some might be his personality and  need for more review.

That makes sense. I haven't looked at the upper levels but if the overall design of the curriculum is the same, I too would probably either supplement or do a separate curriculum.