Menu

Counter top ice makers----anyone have one they love?

Ottakee

My fridge had an ice/water dispenser in the door but twice it has broken and leaked on my laminate floor.  Just not sure I want that risk again.....plus the cost of repairs.  I am thinking about getting one of those table/counter top ice makers that make that cute little  hospital/hotel type ice.  I love love love ice in my water and drink about 4x as much water a day if I can have ICE water.  Even plain old cold water is not the same.

I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with these.  Do they suck a lot of electricity?  do they work well?  Do you leave it on all of the time or just as needed?

We are in the same situation with our ice maker.  I considered a countertop one, but the more I read about them, we decided to just buy bags of ice as needed.  What I didn’t like, if I understood correctly, was you had to use the cubes right after they’re made, or put them in the freezer, or they start melting if you leave them in the machine.  Too high maintenance for me!  

3 minutes ago, school17777 said:

We are in the same situation with our ice maker.  I considered a countertop one, but the more I read about them, we decided to just buy bags of ice as needed.  What I didn’t like, if I understood correctly, was you had to use the cubes right after they’re made, or put them in the freezer, or they start melting if you leave them in the machine.  Too high maintenance for me!  

That is what I was wondering.  Some recycle the water.  My issue is that I have a TINY freezer as mine is a side by side model that I HATE and my chest freezer broke.  I had to work very hard to even fit in ONE icecube tray.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and get my fridge repaired.  It is a tiny plastic part at the bottom that has a small crack in it.  It only leaks when the freezer calls for water and there is higher pressure.

28 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

That is what I was wondering.  Some recycle the water.  My issue is that I have a TINY freezer as mine is a side by side model that I HATE and my chest freezer broke.  I had to work very hard to even fit in ONE icecube tray.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and get my fridge repaired.  It is a tiny plastic part at the bottom that has a small crack in it.  It only leaks when the freezer calls for water and there is higher pressure.

Can you use something like Flextape on it? Ours broke and we got a table top, but it was a pain, and yeah, it doesn't keep the ice cold, so you have to be there to "catch" it and put it in the freezer. https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flextape_large/?attribute_pa_color=clear&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpZX3lIaJ3AIVAy9pCh3Zqg4LEAQYBSABEgK3c_D_BwE