Menu

Canadian folks-anything special I should know about Uni visits?

Dmmetler

DD’s visits (and, at UToronto, an initial interview) are next week for York and U Toronto (St. George). She is looking at cognitive science as a possible major. She’s done a few college tours previously in the USA, although the most recent was a special weekend preview, so the group was rather large. 

Also, is there anything we should make sure to do when we’re in Toronto, particularly that is near either campus? Great places to eat? Just stuff that would give DD a feel for if she really wants to consider making this jump. And if anyone knows where she can find a Massasagua rattlesnake, that would make her trip :). Or even a garter snake...(She is very disappointed that Narcisse isn’t within easy driving distance)

• Like 1

That sounds really exciting! Hope you have a great time in Toronto. If you have pre-booked a campus visit, you probably already received information about the campus layout, parking (or not!), and other details. Driving in and around Toronto is a nightmare, so if you're staying at the campus residence for your tour you can probably avoid too much driving. 

I don't know too much about the various campuses in Toronto, other than there are specific colleges depending on the program of study. I'd assume that the college locations may also be different. Will you be looking around two different campus areas?   Any questions about specific eateries and such could be addressed to the student providing the tour. They'll have the latest info on that.

As far as garter snakes go, a visit to any forested park would probably provide a chance to find a garter. They are very common.

• Like 1

The Mahler Lab is at the U of T:

https://mahlerlab.com/

You could contact them to see if there's anyone there next week who might take you on a tour.

You could also visit the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum):

https://www.rom.on.ca/en/spiders

The link is for their current exhibit on spiders.  Not herps but still cool. :smile:

You could also go on some walking tours through the ravines in TO:

http://www.torontowalking.com/

For eateries, yeah - asking your tour guide is going to get you the best little local places to go. :smile:

Unfortunately, the Massasauga in the wild isn't really near TO.  You'd have to drive a fair ways south to Windsor.  But your dd would probably be able to find garters on the ravine walk. They're everywhere. :smile:  Here's a pic of one eating a frog in our driveway a few years back...

Garter snake eating a frog.jpg

• Like 2

Mahler will likely be quite busy. The whole reason for making this trip now is that the Joint Meeting of Icthyologists and Herpetologists is next week in Rochester NY. While DD won’t have anything she needs to be at as a student until late Weds, some of the meetings will start Monday, and I’m guessing Mahler Labs will likely be on a skeleton crew all next week. She’ll have opportunities to talk to them at the conference, though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

Sorry, I don’t want to seem to be ignoring your post! I see “Canadian” in the title and think “Oooo, me!”, but I have absolutely nothing to help you with Toronto.

Rattlers and garter snakes, I can do!

Maybe next time. Both McGill and Guleph are on the list of Universities with interesting programs. 

One thing about the campus tours I've been on recently with my dc was that they have been lead by current students. I've never been on a campus tour in the US, so I have no idea if that is the same.  I found it interesting to get some insight from a student, but they don't necessarily know much about the specific program your child is considering. You have to schedule a meeting with someone from the faculty in question for that. The registrar's office can be a great place to get answers about how to apply as a homeschool student. 

We have a meeting with someone about international admissions at University of Toronto, as well as with someone in sciences. As soon as we ticked the international box on their form, a lot of other “do you want us to set up meetings for you” popped up. It looks like DD will be applying as a transfer since she’ll have more than a year of college credit, which actually will be less difficult than applying as a homeschooler, but we’ll have a chance to ask those questions. I’m also hoping the international admissions folks will be able to answer questions about the visa requirements. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dmmetler said:

We have a meeting with someone about international admissions at University of Toronto, as well as with someone in sciences. As soon as we ticked the international box on their form, a lot of other “do you want us to set up meetings for you” popped up. It looks like DD will be applying as a transfer since she’ll have more than a year of college credit, which actually will be less difficult than applying as a homeschooler, but we’ll have a chance to ask those questions. I’m also hoping the international admissions folks will be able to answer questions about the visa requirements. 

That is excellent! Glad you can get all that set up for your visit. Enjoy Toronto! Hope this crazy heat wave is finished before you arrive.