Menu

Vitex (supplement, heavy periods) follow-up...

6packofun

Just wanted to share that if you are taking this (or anything else, really) to ease heavy periods, be sure you go to your doctor at some point to check for fibroids or any other issue that might resolve it.  I used this for longer than I should have, probably, and because it was helping I put off going to my doctor.  Until THIS period.  Well, yesterday I passed out in the bathroom and my dd had to call 911 because I was so weak. I have a large fibroid and my blood count was low.  I had avoided going to my doctor because the last time I saw her over a year ago, I explained my heavy periods and her response was basically, "Getting old stinks, doesn't it?!" as if it wasn't bad enough to address.  I should have pushed.  Anyhow, take care of yourselves, ladies.  No one will do it for you and you don't have to "tough it out" like I usually try to do!!

• Sad 3

That's scary. Thanks for letting others know to pursue treatment.

I'm sorry your doctor brushed off your concerns and, in the end, her disregard for your input caused harm.

Is your doctor normally dismissive of your concerns? Some doctors are like that. I've learned to run the other way. 

I'm glad you're ok.

2 hours ago, sbgrace said:

That's scary. Thanks for letting others know to pursue treatment.

I'm sorry your doctor brushed off your concerns and, in the end, her disregard for your input caused harm.

Is your doctor normally dismissive of your concerns? Some doctors are like that. I've learned to run the other way. 

I'm glad you're ok.

No, usually she is great!  She takes her time, we chat about all kinds of stuff, she even tells me supplements and things that SHE uses, etc. that have been helpful.  But she treated the heavy period thing  like something that all women deal with and I didn't want to insist on anything that would be a waste of time (ultrasound or whatever) if it was just perimenopause so I just tried to deal with it.  

I will be glad to get my life back!

I also have fibroids but they haven't given me any trouble, yet.

This week I had the heaviest period of my life.  A plus size tampon every hour. It lasted for 24hrs. Then went to panty liner level. I skipped last month.

50 is coming fast.

My doctor thinks mine might be peri menopausal. Blood work came back fine. Thyroid fine.

Sorry 6packofun. It stinks. Peri menopause or fibroids.