Menu

PODS moving - 7 foot container?

Kanin

We're moving to Maine in August (YAYYYY!!!!!!), and I'm working to arrange moving. In the past, we used a service where you fill a tractor trailer as full as you need it, and then they seal off your part. It was fine, and everything went well, but it was a little stressful having a huge tractor trailer back dropped at my apartment complex. I just called PODS and they were super nice. The 16-foot container is too expensive, but the 7x7x8 one is affordable... but I'm wondering if I can fit a 1-bedroom apartment's worth of stuff in it. We have random things like bikes and skis, and generally too much junk. Hopefully we'll get rid of a lot! To be honest, most of our furniture is second-hand, and mostly not even worth moving!

Has anyone used a 7-foot POD for moving? Did it fit a lot, or fill up quickly? PODS are also nice because you get the POD for a whole month and can fill/throw away stuff at your leisure. The tractor-trailer option only gives you 3 days to pack.

Maybe... we don't have too much stuff (sparse 1 bedroom apt). I just mapped it out, and an 8 foot "box" is pretty tall... although how do you fill it with 8 feet of stuff? Pile everything on top of boxes? Ugh, hate moving.

3 hours ago, Mainer said:

We're moving to Maine in August (YAYYYY!!!!!!), and I'm working to arrange moving. In the past, we used a service where you fill a tractor trailer as full as you need it, and then they seal off your part. It was fine, and everything went well, but it was a little stressful having a huge tractor trailer back dropped at my apartment complex. I just called PODS and they were super nice. The 16-foot container is too expensive, but the 7x7x8 one is affordable... but I'm wondering if I can fit a 1-bedroom apartment's worth of stuff in it. We have random things like bikes and skis, and generally too much junk. Hopefully we'll get rid of a lot! To be honest, most of our furniture is second-hand, and mostly not even worth moving!

Has anyone used a 7-foot POD for moving? Did it fit a lot, or fill up quickly? PODS are also nice because you get the POD for a whole month and can fill/throw away stuff at your leisure. The tractor-trailer option only gives you 3 days to pack.

I can't answer the PODS question. But I will say, when we moved Washington to Texas, we gave away all furniture that did not have sentimental value. It was cheaper to buy used at the destination than to ship.  We did take mattresses so we'd have a place to sleep. (And the crib)

ETA: We had some antique furniture we HAD to take or we'd have been tempted to hunker down to boxes only and move that way.

We moved with the 16 foot Pods container two years ago.  I had a houseful of stuff (we had a 3 bedroom ranch with a large basement).  We had a huge garage sale before moving and filled a large garbage container (trailer sized).  We got rid of our beds and much of our furniture.  I did keep several large pieces of furniture (couch, love seat, 2 recliners, two dining tables, 10+ dining chairs, chest freezer, treadmill, 20+ boxes of books, a large trampoline, etc.).  It's amazing what you can fit into a small space when needed.  We also stacked it to the top! 

Many things like your bikes & dining tables can be disassembled to make more room.  We ended up putting clothes & bedding in garbage bags and filling in empty spaces with them.  We filled a cedar chest and freezer with strange shaped items like camera tripods and musical instruments for a bit more protection.  We used about 20 ratchet ties to secure everything so it didn't shift too much. 

I tried to "budget" our space.  I allowed half for boxes and half for furniture and other large items.  It ended up being a large Jenga puzzle to get it loaded!  The right person in charge of this makes all the difference!  I'm terrible at packing things into small spaces, so I asked my FIL to help with it.

I rented a 7-foot container last year to move items we needed for a four-month stay in a rented apartment.  We included very little furniture but we did take bikes, and it was filled about 2/3.  

I think you could probably fit a 1-bedroom apartment plus bikes into that POD but it will be very tight AND you probably will have to get rid of most of your furniture.  A friend of mine recently packed a 3-bedroom townhouse into a 12-food POD but they gave away all of their furniture except their beds and it was cram-jam filled to the top.