Menu

June frugalistas

SamanthaCarter

I'm sorry @mommyoffive , I hope the fix is not too bad.

Groceries today-$121.29 today w/ Big Lots Sunday- I'm at- $144.59 total for the week 

eta: TP, laundry det, and dishwasher det bought today too. About $20 - I'm too lazy to check the exact amount. Laundry det is enough for 2 months plus, TP a month, dishwasher det- a month. I'm about at $22 for cleaning- I think that's all I need for the month.

Went by Hobby Lobby today and picked up one of the art supplies we needed, total was $9.77 after the 40% off coupon(I used money from selling books).

While I was there my Mom messaged me that Aldi's had marked ribs half off! So, I scooted right on over there and got the last 2 sides, woot! I had just picked up a side yesterday for $2 off but that is an even better deal. Everyone loves when I make ribs but they take forever so I hardly make them. We can have them now once a month for 3 months. I didn't mention it yesterday but I also got some grassfed stew meat on markdown. I've been making my menu based on meat in the freezer and then leaving extra in the budget to buy whatever meat there is on markdown, that is working out really well. 

Both (HUGE) sides were $15, I had been $5 under budget, so now I'm $10 over I'll move that forward to next week. It was worth it to snatch them up at 95 cents a lb! I'm going to go ahead an make one batch Sunday. Dh will be tickled pink to have leftover ribs for lunch on Monday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

Went by Hobby Lobby today and picked up one of the art supplies we needed, total was $9.77 after the 40% off coupon(I used money from selling books).

While I was there my Mom messaged me that Aldi's had marked ribs half off! So, I scooted right on over there and got the last 2 sides, woot! I had just picked up a side yesterday for $2 off but that is an even better deal. Everyone loves when I make ribs but they take forever so I hardly make them. We can have them now once a month for 3 months. I didn't mention it yesterday but I also got some grassfed stew meat on markdown. I've been making my menu based on meat in the freezer and then leaving extra in the budget to buy whatever meat there is on markdown, that is working out really well. 

Both (HUGE) sides were $15, I had been $5 under budget, so now I'm $10 over I'll move that forward to next week. It was worth it to snatch them up at 95 cents a lb! I'm going to go ahead an make one batch Sunday. Dh will be tickled pink to have leftover ribs for lunch on Monday!

That's a great deal for ribs!  I bought a couple of them with the $2 off sticker last week, but half off is even better!  How do you cook your ribs?  DH doesn't care for them much but tries to grill/smoke them, although he has little patience in the heat of July to babysit meat all day.  He usually just grills quick stuff in the summer and leaves the slow grilling for the dead of winter.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Shall we start a July thread? 

Sure!

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

That's a great deal for ribs!  I bought a couple of them with the $2 off sticker last week, but half off is even better!  How do you cook your ribs?  DH doesn't care for them much but tries to grill/smoke them, although he has little patience in the heat of July to babysit meat all day.  He usually just grills quick stuff in the summer and leaves the slow grilling for the dead of winter.

Do you shop at Aldi's too? ? I use the recipe in The New Best REcipe by Cooks Illustrated. It is a long drawn out affair but not really that much work.

1- Rub both sides of ribs w/ dry rub and let stand at room temp for 1 hr. Or for stronger flavor wrap the ribs in double plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a day.

2- Put rack in middle and heat oven to 300. Put ribs meaty side up and wrap pan w/ foil, roast for 1 hr and remove foil.

3- Roast for another hour brush meaty side of ribs w/ bbq sauce- 3/4 c per slab.

4-Cook another 1.5 hrs until bones separate from meat

5- Remove ribs from oven and wrap slab in foil. put in brown paper bag and crimp the top, let sit at room temp for 1 hr

6- unwrap ribs, cut between bones and serve w/ sauce

(fwiw I always skip putting them in the bag b/c I'm impatient)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, soror said:

I just realized the irony that I sent a bbq recipe to Barbecue Mom ?

Strangely enough, my username has nothing to do with food.  DH used a random name generator when setting up his Xbox Live account eons ago, and Barbecue was part of it.  So we started using it on other forums and accounts, too.  Usually I chuckle when I respond about actual barbecue, but I totally missed it this time, lol.

Thanks for the recipe!  I got one out of the freezer to cook tomorrow for dinner since it's going to be downright freezing tomorrow and I can use the oven longer... high temperature of ONLY 86!

Scored another good deal today, this time at Target.  Ours had Udi's hamburger buns marked down half price - $2.38 each.  I don't know whether I'm more excited about "cheap" GF burger buns or that I actually fit six bags of them in the freezer.

(Are we keeping this thread going or starting another?  Or did I miss one?  It's Friday, I'm fried, anything's possible.)

• Like 2