Menu

Resume help.....anyone have format examples/how to list homeschooling

Ottakee

I need a resume to possibly apply for a job teaching reading to adults in a GED program.  I have a degree in Special Education/Psychology but it is 25 years old.  I taught adult ed for 2 years, then homeschooled/parented for 20 years and most recently have been substitute teaching in special education for the past 3 years.  I have not written a resume in 25 years.  I don't know if you list references on the resume or not, what the current format is, how to word that I taught 3 cognitively impaired kids to read while homeschooling and hosted/organized group events, etc.

I have never taught an adult to read but if I can teach reading to kids with special needs, I feel that I can do it.   

References do not need to be listed on the resume.  

Your resume should probably have 4 sections:

Recent Experience

Education

Volunteer Work- here's where you list coordinating group activities

Skills- her is where you list your savvy and experience with special needs and reading instruction

The objective section is old news/unnecessary per the career coaches I know but some do suggest including a summary at the top.   I also include my linkedin with my contact information on my resume.  That takes them to more details than fit on a page, work samples and recommendations I have received.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently updated mine after a four-year lapse. I included a "profile" at the top which goes beyond an objective to describe, briefly, who I am and what I do. As far as contact info., I omitted a physical address and used email, phone, and LinkedIn info. My LinkedIn account has details and links to work products, etc. that won't fit on a 2-page resume. My skills are listed in a sidebar and my proficiency with software is shown as an infographic. You might check out Etsy for some cheap, user-friendly templates. Also, seconding the above, a separate page with references is best. I had it evaluated by two different recruiters/headhunters who said this offered the best mix of old-school and current thinking.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Ok, I have work to do.  I don't have a linked in account....and don't even know how that works

It's like Facebook for business. You connect with professional contacts and friends who can attest to your skillsets and/or bring you leads. I've not added to mine much over the last four years but made some updates and contact additions recently. You can also apply for jobs through LinkedIn. Also, the bar for resumes is (IMHO) not very high. When I served on hiring committees, most people's looked like crap. If, for $5, you can send something that looks pretty darn good you'll be way ahead of the game.

• Like 1

The profile summary seems to be getting more common. Who you are and the work you do.  It’s a little like a cross between an expanded job title and an elevator pitch.  

My employment situation is atypical in that generally people have decided to hire me before they see a resume.  I’m self employed and most clients hire me to do a 10-30 hour set up and then 4-10 hours a month ongoing afterwards.  They just want something sort of official looking to share with their finance committee or board.  I do keep it updated though because I only take PT clients so I need more clients to earn more money.  I opted to not list homeschooling stuff.  I omit my volunteer stuff from my resume but it is on my LinkedIn.  I would really only list homeschooling stuff if it were relevant to the job I was seeking.  Since it is for you, I would definitely list it.  For unrelated work, I would limit listing it to specifically volunteer jobs or skills.  I’ve heard many hiring managers don’t like it when things that personal or touch on questions they can’t ask put on the resume like it was a paid job or a formal volunteer role.