Menu

Spelling Curriculum that teaches Greek/Latin

ZandLmom

I have a natural speller who will be 10 and will be doing 5th grade work. I've done no spelling with him until now but feel he's ready for formal curriculum. I would love to have a spelling curriculum that teaches roots of Greek/Latin etc. In my mind, it just makes sense that they would go hand in hand. But my search has lead to only Wood Roots, and I think it would be confusing and frustrating for him...it's more vocab than spelling.

Am I just dreaming of this or is there a quality product out there that does this? ?

My syllables program teaches the basic spelling rules for native english words and then the rules/patterns for Greek and Latin and has some Greek/Latin word root exercises and bingo, it would be a good overview/place to start.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

I would follow it with Marcia Henry's Words, it teaches basic spelling and then spelling with Greek and Latin patterns and roots.  It is also non-consumable and you can use it with as many children as you like, printing out all the worksheets from the CD, so good for co-op classes and families with multiple children.

https://www.amazon.com/Words-Integrated-Decoding-Instruction-Structure/dp/1416404414

It's usually cheaper from Pro-Ed, they're a reputable company, Don Potter has bought things from them for a while and I've purchased from them a few times over the last few years without problems.

https://www.proedinc.com/Products/12626/words-integrated-decoding-and-spelling-instruction-based-on-word-origin-and-word-structuresecond-edition.aspx

The samples are from early on, the later words are 2+ syllable Greek and Latin words.

On 6/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, ZandLmom said:

I have a natural speller who will be 10 and will be doing 5th grade work. I've done no spelling with him until now but feel he's ready for formal curriculum. I would love to have a spelling curriculum that teaches roots of Greek/Latin etc. In my mind, it just makes sense that they would go hand in hand. But my search has lead to only Wood Roots, and I think it would be confusing and frustrating for him...it's more vocab than spelling.

Am I just dreaming of this or is there a quality product out there that does this? ?

Most decent spelling programs will eventually teach word roots.   It is hard to really learn English without learning these word roots.   (Example:  AAS, ElizabethB's phonics, Spelling Workout, etc.)   

HOWEVER----I am going to suggest something crazy.     Why not just drop spelling and actually study Greek or Latin?   (You probably want to learn Latin first since it will help with learning Greek.)    If you have a natural speller, you probably don't have to spend a ton of time reviewing phonics and spelling words each day.   You could then spend that same amount of time and educational effort learning a new language.   

This seems like a no-brainer to me because for the same amount of time your child would learn.... 1) word roots and derivatives which would increase their vocabulary and ability to figure out unknown words, 2) their grammar study would be re-enforced, and 3) they would actually be learning a new language and eventually be able to read some of the "great books" in their original language, 3) they would learn the "langauge" of law, science, medicine, anatomy, etc. etc.  4)  they would get all of the benefits that come with learning a new language.   (There have been a number of recent studies showing the positive effect of learning a new language on the brain.)     I know my suggestion might sound a little crazy, but I really think that you would get a lot more educational bang for the buck this way.  ?  

I have used R&S Spelling 4 and 5, however, I am planning to switch over to Word Roots for the first half year in the fall.  I want to give it a shot. We had used English from the Roots Up last year...It was fine. I will use the words from the lesson in Word Roots to "quiz" them at the end of the week, along with making note cards of the prefixes, suffixes, and root words.