Menu

Children with autism: effect of iron supplementation on sleep and ferritin

I'll be taking off again. I don't have much time to keep up with the discussions, but I know that some on here have ASD kids with sleep issues, so I thought I would link this in case some find it useful. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17352947

Please pass this on if you know anyone with an ASD child and sleep disturbances. 

Blessings to all,

M

Thanks! Interesting! DS14 has always had trouble with sleep, and his pediatrician gave us orders to have his ferritin levels checked. And I didn't follow through yet, because we are in the middle of moving. I'll have to move that paperwork closer to the top of my to-do pile.

• Like 1

That makes sense to me. My DS (not AU) had a sleep study done last year. One of the things that came up was excessive leg movements while sleeping. His ferritin level was only 14. The dr wants it around 50. I can tell now when he is low when he wakes up and all the covers over off the bed.

4 hours ago, City Mouse said:

That makes sense to me. My DS (not AU) had a sleep study done last year. One of the things that came up wears excessive leg movements while sleeping. His ferritin level was only 14. The dr wants it around 50. I can tell now when he is low when he wakes up and all the covers over off the bed.

When I'm pregnant and my ferritin gets low I get horrible restless leg syndrome. 

I've never had a problem with iron so far, not in my pregnancies, etc., so I must have missed that gene. I don't know, it's just been an occasional thing. I just thought it was funny that the molasses, which I was eating on a whim, might have been helping it. And no, I continue to be weak following this bronchitis. I'm thinking I may cancel everything ds was registered for and just rest this summer. We'll see, but I'm starting to think I may have to do that. On the plus side, ds is doing really well. A college friend came to visit today, and she was BLOWN AWAY by his progress over the last year. He's so much more connected and communicative and engaged. She was very excited for us.

Hope all works out for both of you, and good to hear your boy's progress! I hope you can get the rest you need, as well.

Take care and have a good summer,

M